Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Need some help diagnosing a networking hardware failure on my laptop

MY laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P105-S921. THe other night my daughter was pressing keys on it and when I got to her there was some weird screen that I had never seen before asking to "choose a language".

I couldnt exit this so I just powered down and then started back up. When I did so, I noticed that the LED on the front of the computer that indicates that your wireless card is on was not illuminated. I cycled the switch a few times but that didnt help. I then tried to hook it up via an ethernet cable to my router. I had no internet connectivity (the connection to my router was good). I ran ipconfig and it didnt turn up any information. I then looked at my network connections and realized I wasnt showing the LAN adapter, only the 1394 adapter.I tried to manually install the drivers and got a fail stating "device could not be started".

I finally went the nuclear option and reformatted the hard drive and went back to original installation. Still nothing. The only thing else I can think to do is flash the BIOS. Is there any other software fix I can try or is this definitely a hardware failure? I already disassembled the laptop and made sure all the connections were secure and that there were no obvious problems. I didnt see anything but if anyone has any ideas I'll crack it open again. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Need some help diagnosing a networking hardware failure on my lapt

Have you tried bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Need some help diagnosing a networking hardware failure on my lapt

Apparently flashing the BIOS was the first thing I shouldve tried. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] So yeah, problem solved, but at least I know how to take apart my laptop now...