Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Mountaineer Status?

I'm also looking for suggestions on which location to go too - coming from the burgh. I've never been to either location for the "slot" machines but what's the cocktail policy (I don't think WV gives out free drinks, but I don't know)? Anyway, can we expect that 1/2 and 2/5 NL to be the standard spread (NL speaking at least)? Oh, and look for the 20 something turd in the Hines Ward jersey Saturday, or just 'sup bro' it.

Edit - are either of them smoke free (major plus)?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM

Never been to Wheeling..but the slots section at Mountaineer is a DUMP and is FULL of smoke. **Cough** **Cough**. I think they have a small non-smoking section, but I was only there once. I do not believe Alcohol is free, but I really don't know.

I sure hope they are intelligent enough to not allow smoking in the poker room.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM

I don't know about Mountaineer, but Wheeling Island has stated their Poker room is smokefree. That is fairly standard across poker rooms anymore.

Do they still have the Wheeling Tunnel shutdown? That could make it a PITA to get to the Island. I'm sure I knew an easy way to avoid the tunnel 15 years ago, but I'd be hard pressed to find my way around Wheeling anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regardless, my parents have always remarked that Mountaineer has always seemed more professional when they have gone up there where Wheeling Island has just seemed to be there. Who knows how the poker rooms will be run though?

Assuming the Wheeling Tunnel isn't closed off, I would think it would be an easier drive to Wheeling, down 79 and across 70, doesn't get much easier than that, where I think Chester doesn't quite have the major road ways running to it. I could be wrong, I've never been to Mountaineer.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM

I was going to try and come to the opening at Wheeling this weekend but it looks like I won't be able to come. I'll be very thankful for any trip reports on the LIMIT games at either place. Mainly if it looks like a mid-limit game will run.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 AM

I just want to state how jealous I am that this is happening over the weekend, while Charlestown failed to win their referendum over the summer.

Have fun, 'Burghers.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM

There is no smoking on the poker floor, although you can smoke nearby (basically - in the walkway separating the highs stakes tables from the other tables) - it is one large area. The area is really big - I don't see the smoke being an issue. Place is nice.

I'd have to guess and recommend Mountaineer over Wheeling. Mountaineer has alot more money to spend than Wheeling - I would guess they hired better floor staff. Tables all have auto shufflers.

Either place - the dealers will be green is my guess.

Players - actually, now that I think of it - Wheeling might have less good players. Mountaineer will draw from Pitt, Clev, Youngstown. Wheeling won't have such a large pool to choose from.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Alcohol is free when playing the slots - not sure about poker.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 AM

I will be coming from the Youngstown area btw. (Struthers)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:43 AM

It's still 18+ in WV, right?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Answered my own question:

http://www.tristateracetrack.com/pla...b/default.aspx

"Must be 18 to join and must have a valid photo ID. "

http://www.tristateracetrack.com/abo...ful_hints.aspx

"You must be 18 years of age or older to enter into the Mardi Gras area."
"Children under 16 must be attended by parents at all times; however, anyone under 18 is not permitted in mutuel lines or gaming areas."