Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 03:14 AM

Default NL50 - 77 - Hard to Put Villain on a Hand

I haven't played enough hands to have any stats/reads on Villain. I sometimes 3-bet preflop, but w/o reads I don't think calling is too atrocious? How do we like the flop lead and the turn barrel? River?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $64.70
UTG+1: $29.95
CO: $38.50
Button: $35
Hero: $59.25
BB: $53.30

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $1</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.5</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($5.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($11.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $11</font>, Hero?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 AM

Default Re: NL50 - 77 - Hard to Put Villain on a Hand

I prefer a C/R on the flop, as the lead out gets called by many hands, some of which we beat and some we dont. Also, I think you need to check the turn for pot control. As played, fold to river bet.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 AM

Hate the turn. I so hate the turn. The turn is a check call or fold for me. The 3c only helps a possible straight or flush draw.

A good example why position is so important.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:31 AM

check turn, as played, fold river.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:38 AM

When youre thinking about double barreling, you want to pick a spot that presented either a scare card or a blank for your opponent.

On your turn card, every draw was completed and no scared card came.

I c/f turn unless I notice villian has been floating me.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:19 AM

with this mini raise and we are oop I am 3 betting almost every time. I c/c the turn and eval the river.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 AM

I'd reraise PF to 3.5.
As played I'd check-raise the flop. I think a 1.5 lead into a 2.5 pot OOP is too small, especially when you're leading into the PF raiser. If I were gonna lead I'd probably bet 2.5, or at least 2.
As played I'd check the turn. The 3c is a terrible card, but I might still call a bet that isnt too big and then re-evaluate on the river.
As played I'd fold the river.

"Hard to Put Villain on a Hand".
Yeah, but he did call two barrels, so what can you beat that he'd do that with? He might get annoyed and call the small flop bet with just two overcards when you try and take the play away from him, but would he call two barrels with it? If he's the kind of player who does this then you can find a much better spot to get his money anyway, so just fold. His river bet represents a flush and it makes sense. He could have A10 too, but the bet is pretty big for that.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 AM

I donīt like 3betting preflop here. Villain is going to fold all his bad/mediocre holdings and only continue with hands that have us crushed/are a coinflip.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:35 AM

When you re-raise a min-raise PF I dont really consider it 3-betting. A min-raise isnt really a raise IMO, just a pot sweetener. Most players are still gonna come in with the same hands that they would have come in with had you limped. A difference at NL50 is that many are not gonna raise hands they normally would because they consider a min-raise a normal raise and doesnt feel their hands are worth a re-raise. (this can sometimes be used as a weapon in loose-passive games if you wanna see a cheap flop from early position with hands like Axs or very small pairs).

Raising makes every subsequent decision easier. I think its important to play all hands from the first decision keeping information gain in mind.

If you raise to 3.5 and he folds, thats a good result IMO. Picking up 1.75 OOP with 77 is good enough.

If you raise to 3.5 and he re-raises, then its an easy fold, unless the re-raise is small enough so that you want to continue for set value.

If you raise to 3.5 and he calls. You lead for 5-6 on the flop, and he folds. Great.

If you raise to 3.5 and he calls. You lead for 5-6 on the flop, he raises. Easy fold.

If you raise to 3.5 and he calls. You lead for 5-6 on the flop, and he calls. Now you know he got something. You can probably only beat a flush draw (or perhaps 66). When the 3c comes on the turn you give up. Check-fold turn and check-fold river unless he makes an extremly small river bet. Easy decisions post flop here too because you raised pre flop.

I think a raise PF in this situation is clearly the better play unless you know something about your opponent that says otherwise.