Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: X-Post from NVG: WCOOP ME champion is play2kill (Multi-Accounting)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda surprised that Funki would say that re material possessions and self worth; I always thought he was one of the smartest posters on the forum. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and the chance to explain himself, because by that logic I should have just killed myself three years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being broke is a great reason to kill oneself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if your serious or not, but if you are, that is one of the dumbest comments I've read on these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see more bums killing themselves or dying due to self-destructive behavior or billionaires on yachts?

I don't have any stats on me free-hand but I am pretty sure they have a higher suicide rate so apparently then the world would agree with me. If you are broke, you can't do anything you want, and all your resources immediately go to food/shelter (Maslow's heirarchy of needs ftw!) Then you can't enjoy life.

Money makes the world go round and more people have killed and died for money than anything else. Whether or not Nath feels he is above this because he has such supreme ethics doesn't make it not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not arguing that tons of people do kill themselves because they are broke. It probably is the top reason why. I think it is just dumb that you say it is a "great reason". There is no great reason to kill yourself. There really is no reason at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely wrong. Consider your life's happiness in the + or in the -. If you are happy than you are in the +, if you are unhappy then you are in the -. We'll just assume that you can't be exactly neutral happiness/sad. If you are more unhappy than you are happy, and you have no hopes or ability for future happiness, you would have to be insane to not kill yourself! Why would anyone want to keep on doing something if that something makes you miserable? As at least having some money is essential to pretty much having any sort of "happiness" in the world today, yes I think if you are broke, and the future isn't looking up, suicide seems like a great option.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda surprised that Funki would say that re material possessions and self worth; I always thought he was one of the smartest posters on the forum. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and the chance to explain himself, because by that logic I should have just killed myself three years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I somehow went broke again, like I was last year, I'd definitely kill myself. Being broke is a great reason to kill oneself. People who act like they are completely impervious to the effects having or not having money are 1. lying 2. self-righteous [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual around here lately, and in mainstream culture for that matter, people are taking argument to completely unrealistic extremes in order to try and make a point. It doesn't work like more money=more happy. However, if you are not able to meet your basic needs, then obviously your mental and emotional state is going to be extremely negatively affected. There are some people who base their worth as a person on their net worth, and that is unfortunate for them, since they will never be truly happy as long as they do that because ultimately they are basing their happiness on things and on what other people think of them. If I couldn't afford foods with proper nutrition for my kids, or couldn't afford presents for their birthdays, clothes for my family and me, proper health care, or a decent house to live in, etc., then I would obviously feel like [censored] about myself, and many people around the world are in this very situation.

So, in summary, Google Maslow's hierarchy of needs and read up. Some of those things require money, most do not, and if those needs aren't filled then all of the self-actualization work is not possible.

Of course, I have money, so maybe that's why I'm happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm well aware of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. We are talking about the absolute bustotown brokeness here, begging for quarters to buy a cup of ramen noodles to heat up in a garbage can fire.

More money doesn't = more happy. However 0 money = 0 happy.

edit: which is why Funkii is right, and sirio is wrong.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM

Stealth-
I am not sure why I decided to get involved in this little discussion but just for reference will you answer me these two questions:

1) how old are you?

2) think of the person you love the most in this world (besides yourself). how much money would it take for you to tell a lie that would put them in prison for 30 days?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:15 PM

I think when we start using math and expectation to decide if we are going to kill ourself, we have gone too far...

I don't really think this really deserves an argument, but how can you predict your happiness in the future, especially when your a teenager or in your 20s! If your happiness is revolved around money, and you go broke through poker. And then you predict that you will not be happy in the future, that is like saying "Oh no I lost, I don't wanna take steps in my life to make it better, better take the easy way out and kill myself." You cannot predict where you will be in life 20 years from now let alone a year. Killing yourself because you have no money is just a huge cop out of a bad situation.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Money makes the world go round and more people have killed and died for money than anything else.

Hate to be nitpicky here but there is no possible way that greed is reponsible for more deaths than organized religion...
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think when we start using math and expectation to decide if we are going to kill ourself, we have gone too far...

I don't really think this really deserves an argument, but how can you predict your happiness in the future, especially when your a teenager or in your 20s! If your happiness is revolved around money, and you go broke through poker. And then you predict that you will not be happy in the future, that is like saying "Oh no I lost, I don't wanna take steps in my life to make it better, better take the easy way out and kill myself." You cannot predict where you will be in life 20 years from now let alone a year. Killing yourself because you have no money is just a huge cop out of a bad situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, it would be foolish for me to kill myself if I went broke as I definitely have future potential. It would be a huge cop out.

However, there is definitely a large group of helpless, hopeless, broke, people out there, who I would completely support there decision to suicide. Also, I think after a certain age/experience (probably 30 or 40 or so) you can definitely predict your future happiness/potential in life. If you are unhappy while you live, and believe it is more likely that you will remain unhappy than become happy, then suicide is definitely a fine answer. And once again, the FIRST thing that causes all of this usually, is how much money one person has.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:22 PM

seems to me that the people committing suicide believe there is 100% chance of being unhappy for life instead of like 51% (more likely to remain unhappy, as you said)
Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Believing that you will be unhappy and knowing you will be unhappy are two different things, where the second does not exist.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM

OMG 16 YEAR OLDS SIT AT THEIR COMPUTERS WITH THEIR BUDDIES ON THE INTERNETS AND MAKE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. Drop the Drama bomb, it's popcorn time.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Post note:

When you played Final Fantasy as a kid before the internets poker boom, you probably had a few friends with you at one time or another giving you advice. Same [censored] thing. It's the internets - antisocial kids with bad acne and specious morals are going to get together with other antisocial kids and "multi" account or what not. Let's get over with it and stop making it like it's some sort of serious newsworthy [censored]. It's not. It's the internets.

Barry