Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: GG BODOG GG

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been known to be a Bodog fanboy but it doesn't seem like just changing the domain name each time is the simple solution. If they got the original domain name it only seems probable they could get this one. Not to mention penalties from Google.

I don't think Bodog is going away but I think they will likely have to deal with this in some way shape or form more directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not actually true. This URL name was easily seized because it was registered by a US company. I assume Bodog used a foreign registrar for the newbodog.com URL.

Secondly this case has no merit as the US has no jurisdiction over companies in Antigua and the US has already been ruled against by the WTO. Simply put if the US does not respect the free trade rights of a soveriegn nation (Antigua), why should Antigua (or any country for that matter)respect U.S. patent law.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good in theory, but just not reality. If you've not noticed in the cases of neteller, sportingbet.com, wsex, and others.....the US can do just about whatever it wants.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 PM

They basically cancelled all their guarantee tournies the last 2 days and today they are all cut in half, obviously due to lower traffic. I really hope Bodog stays up and running and gets some new software or I will cry like a little girl.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

thats what they get for rigging their games
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM

I don't think they're handling this particularly well.

When I tried to login, it gave me a Firewall error, saying nothing about how to fix it, going to newbodog and redownloading the software fixed this immediately but I only did it because of 2p2.

How hard would it be for them to temporarily change the google search to have the main hit be newbodog? A smooth transition seems important here.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I tried to login, it gave me a Firewall error, saying nothing about how to fix it, going to newbodog and redownloading the software fixed this immediately but I only did it because of 2p2.

How hard would it be for them to temporarily change the google search to have the main hit be newbodog? A smooth transition seems important here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check your email?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you check your email?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call, traffic seems close at most levels at a glance at least.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM

wow, that patent infringement case is ridiculous! talk about using the system... lame
Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, that patent infringement case is ridiculous! talk about using the system... lame

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of the acacia patent trolling fiasco. They bought some lame pre-internet patents for a centralized movie library for hotel TVs and then tried to extort anyone with video on his or her website. Several of my friends got certified letters threatening lawsuits if they didn't settle for a percentage of their website income.

Here's a little about it.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have the exact same story, and agree that something more than emails are needed here...

i'll leave my money there for now, however this all will make sure that i'll be contacting my old bookie to make sure i'm good with him, just in case...bad timing with the start of football..
Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been known to be a Bodog fanboy but it doesn't seem like just changing the domain name each time is the simple solution. If they got the original domain name it only seems probable they could get this one. Not to mention penalties from Google.

I don't think Bodog is going away but I think they will likely have to deal with this in some way shape or form more directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not actually true. This URL name was easily seized because it was registered by a US company. I assume Bodog used a foreign registrar for the newbodog.com URL.

Secondly this case has no merit as the US has no jurisdiction over companies in Antigua and the US has already been ruled against by the WTO. Simply put if the US does not respect the free trade rights of a soveriegn nation (Antigua), why should Antigua (or any country for that matter)respect U.S. patent law.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good in theory, but just not reality. If you've not noticed in the cases of neteller, sportingbet.com, wsex, and others.....the US can do just about whatever it wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya but in this case to collect the US would need to capture Calvin, or send the stormtroopers into Costa Rica or Antigua. I doubt even this administration would be willing to do that.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I might believe that this was a ploy set up in conjunction with thee Feds in order to get one of the BODOG execs to set foot in US so that they could be arrested. It looks like this patent encompasses every sports betting website, so why pick on BODOG? (1) It has the most public profile, and the FEDS have a hard-on for Calvin. (2) No other offshore wass dumb enough to register their domain (or some other seizable asset) in the US.