Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Straight sees scary river

Player is loose passive preflop but aggressive post flop good fold? Was my turnbet okay?

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $4.70
UTG+1: $6.72
UTG+2: $0.90
MP1: $2.85
MP2: $6.46
MP3: $5.06
CO: $5.76
Button: $2.09
SB: $10.75
Hero: $4.88

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.3, 6 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $0.15</font>, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0.9, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.2</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, SB folds.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.3, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $3.3</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $3.3 returned to MP2.

Results:
Final pot: $3.3
Old 05-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Straight sees scary river

I can't complain about playing 89o in this position. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I bet less on the turn, but your over bet did what you wanted by clearing out the riffraff and making drawing hands pay too much. Hey, if they're willing to overpay nothing wrong with over-charging.

The fold on the end is fine. One alternative on the river is a blocking bet. The check telegraphs weakness and invites a bluff on the obvious scare card. You could try betting about $1.70 and seeing if you get a call from two-pair or sets, while setting the showdown price for flushes that beat you (ie less than the PSB villain made. After a small blocking bet on the end you can safely fold to a shove.

Overall, nice hand.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't complain about playing 89o in this position.
I bet less on the turn, but your over bet did what you wanted by clearing out the riffraff and making drawing hands pay too much. Hey, if they're willing to overpay nothing wrong with over-charging.

The fold on the end is fine. One alternative on the river is a blocking bet. The check telegraphs weakness and invites a bluff on the obvious scare card. You could try betting about $1.70 and seeing if you get a call from two-pair or sets, while setting the showdown price for flushes that beat you (ie less than the PSB villain made. After a small blocking bet on the end you can safely fold to a shove.

Overall, nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah thanks for your sympathetic words. By the way my previous hand was 78 heheheh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. But seriously when i now look back to it my hand is played horribly [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. (1) This guy would probably have bet again and then I would have the chance to reraise in (2) If not indeed you are right the alternative is to bet less, so what if people come along that is part of the game if no spade falls i make more money (3) I should have blockbetted, while he looked to be on a draw he just could have had JT, but why then bet so little it almost looks like a sweetener (in the beginning) - And if you have two pair or a set, wouldn't you have checkraised me, knowing that i could be on a draw... But yeah maybe at this level this doesn't make sense. Your really have to interpret actions differently sometimes at these low stakes (wholy different then hands at higher stakes on this forum). I'm struggling but i will survive [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM

No, I very much like betting when you made your hand on the turn.

Raiser has position on the field and if he was semi-bluffing a FD he very well might take the free card, and you don't want that. There are a lot of cards that would suck on the river (any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] makes a flush, any 3, 7, T, or J makes boats, and 8, 9, Q, K, A makes bigger straights) and you're holding the nuts; its time to bet!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 PM

In fact, this reminds me of a hand of mine from a few months ago. Check out hand #1 in this thread.

My mistake was not re-popping the turn with so many "bad" cards out there. The difference in our two hands is only that one of the few "safe" cards came for me and I could call the bluff, and a scare card came for you and you couldn't call.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like your overbet on the turn given the fact that so few rivers are safe.

P.S. If you look at hand #3 you'll see me limping A5s. Heehee.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Haahhaah you bastard (limping A5s), yeah i watched that thread and indeed you should have shove the turn, we can't always be afraid of the nuts... Yeah you are right the overbet is right i didn't figure out there were so many rivers which could scare me (and with so many people in); altough he probably didn't have a set, i wouldn't have bet that so weak on the flop.