Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Will society ever go hysterical over a celebrity again?

Whenever I watch old clips of Elvis and the Beatles, it amazes me how nuts everyone was over them. You mostly remember the clips of girls screaming and crying with excitement, but it definitely encompassed all young people of both genders. When I try to think of examples of artists that come close to that level of popularity in the past 20 years, I think of N'SYNC/Backstreet Boys, Nirvana/Green Day, and Michael Jackson, but I don't feel like any of them come close to what Elvis and the Beatles did (I think MJ probably comes closest).

So, have I missed anyone? Do you think something like the popularity of the Beatles/Elvis could happen again?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Will society ever go hysterical over a celebrity again?

I think the only way it could happen is if someone came out with a completely new brand of music that they had to their self. The problem is that there'd be like 4 clones of whoever it is after they started to gain even mild success. This kills the potential for the superstar.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I heard this was one of the reasons the beatles stopped touring.

I dont think it will ever happen again. Beatles at one time had the top 5 chart songs at the same time.

I think also in that year they accounted for 51% of all music sold.

I cant see that ever happening again.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:16 PM

NKOTB
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 PM

Same as society won't go crazy over another movie in the way Titantic was, there are just to many modern distractions.

In the 50's/60's the options for activity and availability of celebrity was so much less that when somebody hit they hit HUGE.

These days if your crazy for Paris Hilton there's no reason to go track her down in person when you can stay home and watch her screw on your comp.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NKOTB

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what I was going to answer, too. I was a teenager when NKOTB first came out. Teen girls were completely obsessed with them beyond anything I've seen since.

One girlfriend of mine completely wallpapered her room -- ceiling included -- with thousands of NKOTB posters. She had boxed more of NKOTB merchandise in her basement.

Another girl I knew was told by her father that he would take her on a trip anywhere in the world for her sweet 16. They went to Boston (about 6 hours from where we lived) and stood outside various NKOTB members' homes, hoping to see them.

There have been lots of boy bands since NKOTB, but none of them have come close to the same following that NKOTB had.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same as society won't go crazy over another movie in the way Titantic was, there are just to many modern distractions.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh? that was not even 10 years ago... i realize stuff changes fast but i don't see any cultural differences between then and now that would stop something like Titanic from happening again.

like, i dunno, i think harry potter is pretty close for example
Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard this was one of the reasons the beatles stopped touring.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Beatles did stop touring because of their fans and the noise they created, but this was related to the poor quality of speakers at the time, as the speakers were drowned out by crowd noise, which could never happen today. I believe they later toured again when speakers had improved, although I am unsure about this or whether they stopped touring once again.

Harry Potter is a good example of a media phenomenon today that garners similar levels of attention. The cheers aren't quite the same, but many people would not miss a premier and the opportunity to dress up.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Brad Pitt? didn't he just get "attacked" by a crazed fan that hugged him and wouldn't let go and there were thousands of people there?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Totally forgot about NKOTB. I think them >>> NSYNC/BSB, but I still don't know if it compares to the Beatles/Elvis (especially since they primarily drew females only).

HP is a good example, but I'm more looking for individuals or groups that garner that much attention. People don't swarm airports when JK Rowling visits the states, nor does a majority of Americans tune into to Letterman or Leno when Daniel Radcliffe is the guest.

Maybe I shouldn't restrict things to individuals or groups though.