Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM

Default 1/2 Party 7-7 middle set hand

What do you think of my check-cap on the flop?! Also is the river a value bet? I bottled out a bit at the end.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Party 7-7 middle set hand

???

Bet the flop. That check is so bad I don't know where to start.

As you played it, bet the river as well. No one raised the turn, so the straight is most likely not there. What exactly did the Q change?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Having a read and knowing there's some aggressive players behind would definitely help. As it played out, I like the ck-cap, but I would usually bet this flop.

But - what are you afraid of on the river?? This is the valuebet of all valuebets. If you miss this easy one, I fear what other ones you're missing. This looks like a huge leak.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having a read and knowing there's some aggressive players behind would definitely help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. The person you want to bet out is BB, but evan an aggressive player cannot be counted on to bet out from that position on a connected flop like this. You should bet every time.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
???

As you played it, bet the river as well. No one raised the turn, so the straight is most likely not there. What exactly did the Q change?

[/ QUOTE ]

flop play indicates that a draw is likely...

the flop bet isn't terrible, there are a lot of hands that are likely to bet for us. The pot is unraised and this is a good flop for most hands that just call preflop.

As it went down I don't like Hero's cap. I know that a lot of hands will change our equity on the turn (we may not have the best hand) but when we cap here we give away the strength of our hand aswell as charging BB 3-cold. A lot of the time we are going to want to encourage the call as our equity is incredibly high. I know that more bets * high equity is good, but is the frequency of the call worth the extra equity realisation?

True
Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you say that? I would think that the turn play would indicate a draw. All opponents have shown aggression at every possible chance on the flop, so I'm not sure that it means they're on a draw. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you.

[ QUOTE ]
the flop bet isn't terrible, there are a lot of hands that are likely to bet for us. The pot is unraised and this is a good flop for most hands that just call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would just hate for that bet to come from the Button. What do you do then? It's much safer IMO to just bet out.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
???

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually would bet this but I thought as so many people were in the pot someone was bound to bet letting me check raise. I dont see how this can be a massive mistake. I wanted to try and make sure the draws had to call more than one bet to see the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
???
But - what are you afraid of on the river?? This is the valuebet of all valuebets

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason i didnt bet on the river is that button was pretty passive and I was worried that he would have a str8 / higher set quite a lot. Still it was probably still a mistake to check.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]play would indicate a draw. All opponents have shown aggression at every possible chance on the flop, so I'm not
Why do you say that? I would think that the turn sure that it means they're on a draw. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would just hate for that bet to come from the Button. What do you do then? It's much safer IMO to just bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

one player calls 3 bets cold...

If the button bets and is the only aggressor, call and attempt to b/3-bet the turn.

True
Old 07-13-2006, 08:38 PM

If I was going to c/r, the flop is the last place I would.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Bet the river.