Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Splashing around in a 3bet pot

Villain is 19/15/3.5 over a large sample. He is capable of 3-betting light and this was the third time he had 3-bet me in about 50 hands; all from the blinds iirc. I folded pre to each of them. I was running about 24/21 and hadn't been out of line post flop.

I felt he would take a shot on the turn w/ a fairly wide range since I had checked behind the flop. I may also play a set, two pair and AK in this manner at times so I don't feel like I look like a bluff very often. He has ~$210 after his turn bet.

Thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: $200
SB: $190.50
BB: $284.30
UTG: $78.95
Hero (MP): $348.70
CO: $80

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $6, <font color="red">BB raises to $28</font>, Hero calls $21, SB folds

Flop: ($63) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($63) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $44</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $165</font>
Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Splashing around in a 3bet pot

Why not take a stab at the flop? Its not like you can't represent anything (AK,AQ,QQ..AA).
Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 PM

I don't get the raise size.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 PM

I dont get any of it, looks sick weak.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

He has a flush draw and lots of BD draws that would be very, very well disguised, and doesn't want to get blown off the flop. I think flop check is good.

Turn raise, I don't know. Would you really check behind two pair/set/AK on such a drawy board? Since you are more than 100BB deep, I think you would be unlikely to check behind those hands. If villain is capable of 3betting light he might be capable of recognizing this.

Depending on villain I might just call turn and VB/shove river if I hit, and bluff if the heart draw hits, although lots of times people don't believe BD draws. Still, you are huge implied odds to call the turn with probably 12 outs and maybe 7-9 more bluff outs.

A river bluff will probably cost you the same as the amount that you raised on the turn (or even less). So calling turn seems to give you more options.

I'm not saying turn raise is bad, though. If he calls and you hit, you get his stack. He will also have to fold a lot of one pair hands that he doesn't want to play for stacks, and of course air.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not take a stab at the flop? Its not like you can't represent anything (AK,AQ,QQ..AA).

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I could have. I liked the idea of taking a free card there. I guess that thought process doesn't flow too well with the turn action does it?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the raise size.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to raise how much would you go for there? I wanted to raise enough to make myself look committed and not like it was a bluff. Does it look bluffy? Plus I have quite a few outs so I'm stacking off if he shoves. If I had a hand I would probably raise the same, fwiw.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM

I'd be tempted to just call this turn bet. Your hand is extremely well disguised, and you have 12 outs to make a monster. The way you described the villian makes me think he'd cbet this flop most of the time, so to me his flop check makes it more likely he's got a monster (AQ, QQ, AA etc). If you miss and he bets the river it's an easy fold. If you miss and he checks the river, I'd be inclined to bluff at it a decent amount of the time, since he could easily have KK/JJ/other pairs which will be hard pressed to call a river bet. Obviously if you hit you get the money in any way you can.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM

If he's your typical 19/15/3 type guy then he's cbetting this flop almost always when he misses, and almost always checking when he hits it. Given that he checked the flop then bet about 2/3rd pot on the turn, it's extremely likely he hit it. Just call the turn, you likely have huge implied odds.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's your typical 19/15/3 type guy then he's cbetting this flop almost always when he misses, and almost always checking when he hits it. Given that he checked the flop then bet about 2/3rd pot on the turn, it's extremely likely he hit it. Just call the turn, you likely have huge implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]