Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Cashing in a re-buy without re-buying?

Is this hard to do? I was thinking of playing the $3 re-buy 25K guarantee a few times, but my strategy is not to re-buy, as i only have a small BR.
All i have to do is get in the top 500ish then i will get like $21. It sounds like a good deal to me, and i might even get lucky and make it deep once or twice, that would be great for my BR.
But, will i have to build my stack so big that I'm better of playing regular tourneys?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Cashing in a re-buy without re-buying?

Also, can someone elaborate on rebuying?
Why do it, when do you do it, what's it for exactly, and is it a good idea to do it whether your short or big stacked at the time?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM

The whole point of the rebuys allows for some crazy people to keep pushing early on to build up a monster stack before the rebuy period ends.

Without rebuying, you're going to have to pick a few spots early on to keep doubling up. If you play scared poker, most players are going to have you dominated in chips because they've been making the aggressive gambling moves.

In short; yes it's possible, but it's going to be harder on you limiting yourself to one buy in when everyone else has multiple.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM

I'm assuming this is the Pokerstars tournament - and I've played a good number of their rebuys.

You start with 1500 chips for the first $3. Anytime you are at T1500 or less, you can rebuy T1500 for $3 (this means if you are at T0, you can reload to T3000 for $6). At the end of level 4 (one hour), all players may addon T2000 for a final $3. At this point, the rebuys are done and the tournament becomes a traditional freezeout (lose all your chips and you go home).

Rebuys tend to play quite bizarre - people will randomly shove ATC in the rebuy period. Their goal is to build a large stack regardless of cost, expecting to be able to use it to profit later. This means there will be a TON of chips in play early. Generally at the end of the rebuy period, the average stack will be over T10,000.

It is possible to profitably play this tournament on a set budget - the absolute minimum would be $9 (rebuy at beginning, addon at break), and generally $15 or $21 (one or two double rebuys) is a reasonable budget.

However, if you are primarily concerned with bankroll - do not play this tournament. It's not designed to favor players with your strategy and you'll struggle to accumulate the necessary chips.

I would suggest avoiding tournaments in general in what I understand to be your situation, as they are extremely high varience. It's just not worth the risk of going broke. Mix in an occasional tournament, but focus elsewhere - you can make the small steady gains that you need in cash or SNG play.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM

You might find the 2.20 to the Sunday 100k to be a good roll-builder. I've used it from time to time when I've dropped low in funds, and it's helped.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming this is the Pokerstars tournament - and I've played a good number of their rebuys.

You start with 1500 chips for the first $3. Anytime you are at T1500 or less, you can rebuy T1500 for $3 (this means if you are at T0, you can reload to T3000 for $6). At the end of level 4 (one hour), all players may addon T2000 for a final $3. At this point, the rebuys are done and the tournament becomes a traditional freezeout (lose all your chips and you go home).

Rebuys tend to play quite bizarre - people will randomly shove ATC in the rebuy period. Their goal is to build a large stack regardless of cost, expecting to be able to use it to profit later. This means there will be a TON of chips in play early. Generally at the end of the rebuy period, the average stack will be over T10,000.

It is possible to profitably play this tournament on a set budget - the absolute minimum would be $9 (rebuy at beginning, addon at break), and generally $15 or $21 (one or two double rebuys) is a reasonable budget.

However, if you are primarily concerned with bankroll - do not play this tournament. It's not designed to favor players with your strategy and you'll struggle to accumulate the necessary chips.

I would suggest avoiding tournaments in general in what I understand to be your situation, as they are extremely high varience. It's just not worth the risk of going broke. Mix in an occasional tournament, but focus elsewhere - you can make the small steady gains that you need in cash or SNG play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have decided to try it out a few times and see how i do. If i don't cash 5 times in a row then i will stop playing them. But, if i do manage to cash i will win about 8 or 9 times my buy-in back, so i really can afford to fail a few times.
I am playing the $3 re-buy right now and I'm doing quite well. I have found it quite easy to double up a few times, because of the fact that everyone is playing a bit crazy.
All i done was wait for some decent hands then go allin, you will get called by almost anything. So, i think its a good idea, it pretty easy to reach average chips by the end of the re-buy period, and if i cash i get 9 times my buy-in. So, i can really afford to bust out early in these a few times and it will still be profitable.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM

Cool. I do think it is a +EV strategy (largely from experience)...just very high varience.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Its very possible. I made it to 40th a couple nights ago $3 rebuy...with only $6 my first double buy..no add on. read your opponents right...and set them up..double a couple times and you'll do well...good luck..let us know how it goes
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can someone elaborate on rebuying?
Why do it, when do you do it, what's it for exactly, and is it a good idea to do it whether your short or big stacked at the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply, the best strategy in a rebuy is to take every single rebuy to which you are entitled, and always add-on (if there's an add-on) unless you have at least 10% of the total chips in play. When you see the buy-in, multiply it by 7 in your mind. That should represent the average amount you should expect to spend.

Many players approach the rebuy period with the intention of gambling a lot with a goal of building up a big stack. In reality, how you play during the rebuy period will depend a lot on how your table is playing. Wild tables with 2 or 3 rebuy maniacs are great. If you catch cards you can amass a huge stack with a minimal investment.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this hard to do? I was thinking of playing the $3 re-buy 25K guarantee a few times, but my strategy is not to re-buy, as i only have a small BR.
All i have to do is get in the top 500ish then i will get like $21. It sounds like a good deal to me, and i might even get lucky and make it deep once or twice, that would be great for my BR.
But, will i have to build my stack so big that I'm better of playing regular tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. You're at a huge disadvantage if your intent is to not rebuy.