Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 AM

Default What would you do?

I don't think there's any right or wrong here, but what would people do.

I'm the UTG in seat 7 (9 player game). New Player takes seat 9, dealer asks if he wants to post, New Player says he'll wait the big blind, and gets up (to get some of the free brats being served).

When players in the game have gotten up, this dealer has universally dealt them in one hand (bonus qualification), and no one at the table has a problem with this.

Dealer inadvertantly deals cards to seat 9. Before any action, I quietly point it out to him seat 9 wasn't in the game and he instamucks the cards.

My understanding from Roberts Rules of Poker -- is that this should be a misdeal. If you were me would you:

1. Do nothing -- player isn't there, so his cards will be killed -- no harm/no foul.
2. Tell the dealer, and live with whatever he does (redeal or instamuck).
3. Call the misdeal.

I chose #2.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: What would you do?

[ QUOTE ]

I chose #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might even choose 1, but I suppose it can't hurt to point it out. It justs seems silly to me to insist on a misdeal here, although there's probably an argument I'm not thinking of.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM

For simplicity's sake, I generally prefer the dealer just muck the hand. I'd rather get more hands in than watch him shuffle repeatedly.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Had you looked at your cards?

IMO, you've got 2 random cards and the fact that the empty seat has cards doesn't make yours any less random...so just muck them and move on. However...once or twice in the same situation I've seen people take a look at their cards and decide they were no good, and then try to call a misdeal. To me, that's angleshooting.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Generally I seen this go as a dead hand to keep the action moving. It's really one of those no harm no foul situations. Though I am sure you can argue a misdeal.

I would just go with #2 , either way is fine and I seen both d and generally really have no opp on the matter as long as that player can't play/get a hand
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 AM

1. The hand is mucked, so just move the game along and don't do anything
Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 AM

Why would you want to slow the game down by telling the dealer and potentially having him turn it into a misdeal? You still have two random cards don't you? I hate when players do this. I really don't care how the dealer deals the cards, it's all random anyway. He could deal to everybody else first and then give me two cards from the bottom of the deck and I wouldn't give a [censored].
Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM

yeah I am sick of people calling missdeal all the time, its like if the button didnt move, you could just move button / blinds (if nobody acted yet) instead of re dealing the whole hand.

In that case I would take a peak at my cards and then decide to call it a missdeal or not, thats angleshooting maybe but I am like that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 AM

I guess if you were in the game, I'd call misdeal everytime.

I don't like angleshooting, but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise -- I think I agree with others, letting it go would have been better -- as it turned out, it was a bang bang situation. I saw the cards, and without giving much thought said to the dealer, "he said he'd wait", dealer mucked the cards, so, in actuality no time was lost.

Better move would be to ignore it unless some jerk is trying to angleshoot the game.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM

This is a case where I don't agree with Robert's rules on what's a misdeal. In tournaments, yes, because that's a special situation, but I think his rules for misdeals go too far for cash games.

In my room, if I deal in a player who shouldn't get a hand or deal in an empty seat, I just muck the hand. Usually it's noticed before the second card comes around, but I complete the deal as if the player were getting a hand, and then muck it. If you call the floor over, that's exactly what they'll tell me to do.

To go even further, if someone only gets one card, I'm to finish dealing the hand and then give one off the top. I don't mind that one either, but it has far more potential to annoy people. Oddly I had one situation where a higher limit player was in a lower limit game and he got genuinely upset that the proper order of the cards was ruined and that it should be a misdeal. Why he couldn't just pretend that we already had the re-deal, I don't know. (Since many people had different than the cards they "would have" gotten anyway, isn't that like a re-deal?) Me, I don't believe in magic and fairies.