Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Why people start playing poker and why nits play poker?

Maybe they were nitty when they played the micros and it's a habit they can't get out of?

I'd have thought that at 400NL you'd love to have a couple of nits at your table, much more exploitable than a few LAGs 3/4betting you all over the place.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they were nitty when they played the micros and it's a habit they can't get out of?

I'd have thought that at 400NL you'd love to have a couple of nits at your table, much more exploitable than a few LAGs 3/4betting you all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer LAG's because I know when they will make a move and stuff like that plus they will give me more action and make more interesting game so it won't tilt me when I have AA and the whole table folds after I raised last 10 pots in a row. I know LAG's habits better because I also have those tendencies sometimes.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM

nit = tight passive, weak-tight player. LAGTARDS run over nits.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 AM

There are many reasons to play poker other than making money. I think the greatest demographic percentage of nits is old retired people who are at the tables more for the social aspect and to get out of the house doing something that's not physically demanding. They are nits because they want their allowances to last as long as possible before they have to go home to their Nagtard wives.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 AM

I have been called a nit before and I actually came into this forum thinking about asking if it bothered people to be called a nit or a rock at the table.

Does it bother you that people get "wonderful feelings" from different things than you do? I don't. If gay folk get "wonderful feelings" from having a human penis stuffed up their rectum, I don't feel bad that I have no interest in the same sensation. Why should poker be any different just because I'm not an action junkie? Maybe most poker players get intrigued by the rush of gambling, but most poker players are long-term losers.

If there's any thrill I get out of poker in addition to the money I make, it is the thrill of outsmarting people, especially those who think they are smarter than you, which is why I am happiest to take money from multi-tabling TAGfish even when easier money is out there.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Just because YOU know the nits have the nuts and don't give them any action does not mean that everyone else does the same.

If these guys sit around breaking even until a fish comes along and donates they might make an hourly rate that seems to not even be worth it to you. However, if said players alternative form of gambling entertainment is something like baccarat or blackjack where he is a long term loser than his hourly rate for choosing to play poker is actually what he wins plus what he would have lost in the alternative endeavor.

If you're truly a better player then just thank them for keeping the games going as you pass on through to the next level. If for some reason you can't seem to ever reach that next level then perhaps your desire for the "thrill of gamble" is just creating a whole lot of fluctuation for you and not much profit.