Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Experimenting with a new style (long)(Nicho plz read)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you mean exactly by "Nichomacheo's strategy", or "new style", but this hand looks 100% standard in most normal circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say Nicho's strategy because he has been advocating moves like these, at least in my interpretation. I choose that hand because it is standard, and not very complicated to explain.

[ QUOTE ]
However, with many other boards where you hit your K in a similar manner you might find yourself in much more trickier spots than here, and the decision about whether to play it this passively could be much tougher. Really, both the flop and turn and obviously river are working for you just great, but change one card on the flop and/or the turn card and your line might suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed you are correct. If the board starts to get more drawy then we may need to throw in a raise somewhere. But then again, our line may be ok if we are still pretty confident he is on a bluff. He may bluff at the scare cards.

Whether or not we want to raise on a drawy board depends on how strong the draw is, and how strong our hand is. If we only have a pair of 8's, then we should probably be more inclined to try to protect our hand. However if we have a weak ace or something we may have to enter Way ahead/Way behind mode.

In fact most of this thinking is inspired by WA/WB. I used to play alot of limit and this is a fairly common line used. If we are ahead and he is on a bluff we are probably way ahead with him drawing very thin. If he isn't bluffing and has something like 2 pair or even a straight or flush, we lose the least amount possible when we choose to calldown. That is, when we decide the chance is high enough that he is bluffing that we need to calldown.

In HU limit this line happens so soooo much. I think we can adapt it to NL.

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: also, not to discourage you, but thinking that something is working for you since you run good for 16 games could be dangarous. Even complete monkeys can run good for more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. But with all due respect using this new style has won me most of those games. I'm only trying to show that this style is capable of providing results when properly utilyzed. But perhaps I am still a monkey.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Point taken. But with all due respect using this new style has won me most of those games. I'm only trying to show that this style is capable of providing results when properly utilyzed. But perhaps I am still a monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I didn't mean that you are a monkey, nothing like that, the monkeys' phrase was only used to point out how small is a 16 hu games sample, and how insignificant are any kinds of results from such a strech, regardless of your specific strategy. This is even more so if we assume you are a winning player to begin with, and not someone who usually manages to win only 4/16 or something like this.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I have started thinking about these things and implementing them I am 13/16 in $52.50s.

[/ QUOTE ]

60% winrate is 9.6 Your 3.4 better than that.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:32 PM

Preflop I like to reraise if I can put in a pot-committing (with hands like AJ and 77) amount against maniancs b/c I know I can call a push and get it all in on the flop no matter what regardless of position.

When I cant raise a pot committing amount I still like to reraise because Im investing a small amount of chips against someone who likely to play badly in a big pot regardless of position, Im just aware of this when I make my bets (Im assuming he is too aggressive).

If hes good aggressive and likely to use his position very effectively and you cannot commit yourself to the pot with your reraise, then I think this is the best case for calling preflop.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Two things about being oop in a big pot-

1- Many times the pot is so big that you are taking away his opportunity to outplay you if you check to him.

2- Being the first to act has its advantages. Stacks are even, and blinds are 20/40. Say you reraised pot oop with 55 or A8 and he smooth calls with 66. The flop comes KQT and you push. He's most likely mucking the better hand, where he'd most likely pushing if you check to him. You're taking the play out of his hands by being the first to act in a big pot.

While building the pot has its advantages in many games, I don't like it HU when I know I'm better than my opponent. In an even match, I'd be more inclined to, but if somebody's really aggressive/bad post flop and I know I can set a trap if I catch a hand, I think my chances of winning are much better than by pushing when I'm a 53/47 favorite.

Lee