Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 PM

Default From $10\'s to $20\'s (what I have learned)

Well last night I hit 20 buyins for the $20's after playing about 112 $10's, so I jumped right in expecting it to be more or less the same.

It was not the same. The is a higher percentage of aggro donks here. In fact my first game I made a nut flush on the turn and got checked raise, so I smooth called. He then went allin on the river. He had Ace high. It was magical.

Thanks to the donks at the $20's sharkscope has me running superhot.

But I'm trying not to let the good run get to my head. My game has lots of room for improvement.

Here are some things I have figured out from experience about these games.

I have to fold top pair sometimes against decent players. Not shortstacked of course. If I reraise and they go all-in I need to let it go.

I have also had lots of success with the semi-bluff checkraise at this level. When an opponent is showing moderate to weak strength on the flop, and I have a flush draw, I will checkraise them allin after their moderately sized turn bet. Most of the time they have folded what I presume to be around middle pair. This did not work as well at the $10's. I just got called by any pair.

I've learned that some opponents stop raising in the late stages and try to trap me into taking it allin for them. This is difficult to combat. Usually I just check the BB. If I have a good pocket pair I put in a pot committing raise and try to get it in postflop. If I have AK or AQ I push. If anyone has tips concerning what to do against lategame trappers, i'm all ears.

Does anyone have tips for more aggressive games? What adjustments are helpful? Perhaps less C-betting, which I've toned down on after facing a lot of checkraises.