Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Night shift jobs for college students?

What are some night shift jobs that college students would be able to get?

I was going to go apply to like ups, but since I've been asking around people say they definitely wouldn't recommend it since it is really a hard labor job, but I'm looking for a job that generally starts around 11pm and lasts until about 5-6 am

any ideas? and/or reflections on working for UPS/fedex
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Night shift jobs for college students?

Working at a over night gas station/convenience store, easy job and not labor intensive
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 AM

I've been working for UPS for the past 3 years during the evening. Yes it's labor intensive, but nowhere near as tough as landscaping or concrete work. You work inside for the most part and remain fairly clean. Most hubs will offer a midnight shift that starts around 11pm, but you won't typically work for more than four hours per night. Between the union benefits, and the potential for advancement, it's a very worthwhile job for most college students. Part-time supervisors even receive tuition reimbursement.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:24 AM

One of my biggest regrets in life is blowing off an offer to get into UPS. A friends wife, who is fairly high up at UPS, said that if I loaded trucks part-time she would use her connections to get me into a delivery route. In my infinite wisdom I rejected her offer, electing instead to take my chances in 'less corporate' environments.

About six or seven years after looking that gift-horse in the mouth, I happened to obtain a route at Airborne Express, at which I made excellent money as an independent contractor, using my own van. Although it wasn't UPS $$$ and benefits, it was still a respectable living, doing work I generally enjoyed. After DHL and Airborne merged things changed and I was [censored] out of what I was led to believe would be my deal for as long as I wanted it.

Now I am too old to have a reasonable shot at a UPS route (although Fed-Ex may still be a possibility). Had I taken advantage of the opportunity I was given back in '94, I would probably be knocking down 90K or so with a killer benefit packaged. Instead, I am in a very uncertain situation- with limited prospects.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the point I am trying to make is that you leave yourself a lot of outs by getting in good with UPS. As you well know, they are an international company that won't be going anywhere soon. And the loading work isn't really that hard either, as most of the freight isn't very heavy. It's more busy work than anything. Hell, you probably won't even notice it because you'll be too busy yukking it up with the rest of the crew.

Hopefully your education will land you in a career you wind up really happy with. Maybe it will be somewhere up the ladder at UPS. However, the worst-case fall-back option of cruising around on a nice day with the radio cranked, not to mention having hot chicks living out their 'delivery man fantasies' with you, isn't a bad one to have available in the event other markets are slow. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Night shift jobs for college students? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Ryan Beal
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you well know, they are an international company that won't be going anywhere soon. And the loading work isn't really that hard either, as most of the freight isn't very heavy. It's more busy work than anything. Hell, you probably won't even notice it because you'll be too busy yukking it up with the rest of the crew.

[/ QUOTE ]
*deleted*

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 AM

i worked part time for UPS for about 3 months and it sucked , worst job i ever had in my life

nighttime security/doorman at a hotel or at a condo...pretty chill job , nothing really happens ..get 2 play psp/ds for hours on end ...it is a real boring job tho but no manual labor ...
Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you well know, they are an international company that won't be going anywhere soon. And the loading work isn't really that hard either, as most of the freight isn't very heavy. It's more busy work than anything. Hell, you probably won't even notice it because you'll be too busy yukking it up with the rest of the crew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely unless you're fluent in Spanish. My brother loaded trucks for a while at UPS and said that just about everyone there either didn't speak English or was a n*****. He eventually quit when the getting in and out of trucks started to bother an old knee injury of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody at the UPS hub that I work for speaks fluent English. The majority of our part-time employees are white college kids.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*deleted*

[/ QUOTE ]

the black guys probably got the job over a white guy.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely unless you're fluent in Spanish. My brother loaded trucks for a while at UPS and said that just about everyone there either didn't speak English or was a n*****. He eventually quit when the getting in and out of trucks started to bother an old knee injury of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody at the UPS hub that I work for speaks fluent English. The majority of our part-time employees are white college kids.

[/ QUOTE ]and probably not as racist as the guy complaining