Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Poker rate in Tunica

I'm heading to Tunica for a quick low-budget trip this weekend. This will be my first time there. Any advice on where to stay and how to get a good rate for the room would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Poker rate in Tunica

i have to ask - are you a fan or Nole Fransico? So am I [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 04:18 PM

I've seen Nole, but not particularly a fan...haven't seen him much. I am a Florida State Seminole fan however.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen Nole, but not particularly a fan

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my joke went over your head. I am a fan of playing with him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 04:25 PM

Yep, I missed that one.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 PM

I like the Gold Strike. Simply because if you dont wont to play poker there the Horse Shoe is 50 yds away, if that. THe rooms arent bad eithere. As far a price goes GOld Srike has a poker rate, Id call now and reserve it, just in case. But I never had a issue getting a room in Tunica. Its May, nothing going on. The poker rate should be about 35-40 bucks a night. Sometimes I dont even play there and stiil get the poker rate. Thas usually during the week.

Food, well it sucks. But its free. Id pay the 20 bucksw for the Sun brunch at the Strike(Chicago Steak House) it alright and well worth 20 bucks. But if your going for cheap the poker room will give you a voucher for a buffet or a Deli comp ever shift so no bigge there.I perfer the Subway down the road. If you have nefer been to Tunica dont be be shy to ask for the food and rooms.Its the easiest comp system Ive ever seen. I do tip the person who writes be a comp. Its a small atmosphere so if your up there alot they will remember your face. I only twice maybe three times a year. The staff remember me come January and trust me, that helps out alot.

All in all you can do Tunica cheap. I know lots of people with limited bank rolls that can go down there and do ok. Price of living is super cheap compared to AC or Vegas. And dont be discourgaed by some of the post on here. The action isnt as good as CAlI,AC or Vegas. But its still there and there is plenty of money to be won in 1-2 un capped NL at the strike or the 20-40 game at the shoe. If you wont smaller they have 3-6 at the Strike 4-8 at the Shoe and my personally kill time Favorite 1-5 seven card stud.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM

The Horseshoe and the Gold Strike seem to be the most popular places. I just got back from a Tunica trip last week. The report is posted in this forum by BobPoker, who I went with.

I'm looking at going back with my wife in June and I just called both the Strike and the Shoe to get poker room rate pricing. Horseshoe - $30/weekdays $40/weekends. Gold Strike - $40/weekday $50/weekends. The Strike requires 5 hrs of play per day to get that rate and from what I've heard and the way Johnny Grooms (Strike tourney director) talked when I asked, they are pretty strict with the 5 hour rule. From my experience the Shoe seems to be more lenient and goes out of their way to do you any favors they can.

The Shoe will put you up in the Grand's Veranda hotel which is where we just stayed. Nice, nothing fancy, but very clean and plenty fancy enough for me. The problem I have with it is it's about 2 miles away from the Horseshoe and I don't like having to drive back and forth, but that doesn't bother many people. The Gold Strike is almost connected to the Horseshoe so if you stayed there, you could walk between the two poker rooms and it take no longer than 5 minutes max.

I can't speak for the Strike because I only played there a few hours on two occasions but the Shoe never turned us down for a free meal. More details on that in the trip report....

Just decide which place you'd rather stay and give them a call and be sure to book through the poker room. In my opinion if you don't mind driving back and forth from the Veranda to the Horseshoe (5 mins) then that would be the way I'd go. I've never been treated better anywhere than the Shoe.

- Jason
Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gold Strike - $40/weekday $50/weekends.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the highest I've ever seen a poker-room rate in Tunica. Did it just go up or something?
Just last year it was 25/35.
I thought it went up but I thought that was only to 30/40.

All the way up to 40/50 for the gold-strike room-rate is really something assuming this info is correct.

Also, if you plan on making occasional midweek visits then get a players-card and play some blackjack or 3-card poker or something.

I'm not a regular there at all and pretty much play the minimum.
But I get offers for 1 or 2 free nights, Sunday through Thursday, at Gold Strike or Grand-Veranda ALL the time in the mail. One after another. Get in their system.

I used to get one free night midweek for the Sheraton too and all their rooms are jacuzzi-suites. Makes for a nice little get-away with the GF.
But I stopped getting offers from the Sheraton a few mths ago.

Gold Strike and Grand rooms are okay though.

If you are only going in on weekends then playing their blackjack and other table-games won't help you get a free room unless you are a high-roller.

But I get those 'good for 1 free night Sunday-Thursday' coupons all the time.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM

Shoe's comps are definitely better while there.
I've been turned down for comps before at Gold Strike.
It's never, ever an issue at Horseshoe.

If I'm hungry upon my arrival this can be enough to sway my decision regarding which place to bring my business.

I typically only go to Gold Strike if the wait-lists at Horseshoe are really long and I don't happen to be hungry.

Note that they can have longish wait-lists and have no plans to start a new game even if they are only using half their tables there.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just decide which place you'd rather stay and give them a call and be sure to book through the poker room.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably a stupid question, but how would you go about booking through the poker room? Do you just call the poker room manager and tell him/her you need a room?

Thanks.