Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Very important business meeting this thursday.

My dad got me a lunch with the vice president of investment banking at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods investment bank. I really don't know how this is going to go. I really want this lunch to figure out what i can do now, to make sure I get the internship at the firm next summer. Ben Stein wrote a really good article on business conversations that I'm going to use.

But the purpose of this thread is to start a discussion on what types of things I might be able to talk to him about, including things about the firm, general things about investment banking etc.

It helps he's an alumni of the college I currently attend, but my dad was saying just ask him what his past month has been like work wise, what else can you guys think would help to have this lunch go well.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Very important business meeting this thursday.

Talk about the school's football team; that seemed to help a couple of guys at an interview day I attended for one company. Of course, both the interviewer and interviewee had actually *played* on the team.

Disclaimer: Once when asked about what I thought was the worst aspect of my school (of which the interviewer was an alumni), I cracked, "You mean besides the men's basketball team?" That interview lasted about 15 minutes.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM

Read the Wall Street Journal cover to cover for 2 weeks before your interview.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the Wall Street Journal cover to cover for 2 weeks before your interview.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Ask him everything you can about the firm, his job, and the internship. Esp. questions like, what makes for a successful employee in your department? What skills should I work in order to become a successful intern? What are the firms most important goals? How does his department contribute to the firms profitability? How is the firm structured? Yada yada, etc.

Showing an intense curiousity about the business allows him to talk about his favorite things, takes the focus off you while showing him that you are eager to learn and contribute (i.e. a prime potential employee).
Old 05-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Reach-around not working anymore?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the economistcover to cover for 2 weeks before your interview and skim the WSJ, but read all of the financial times Comment & Analysis section.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Barron
Old 05-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Ok, this went better then I thought, but it was pretty short.

It was supposed to be with 1 guy, and I had never seen this guy before. I was expecting a guy in his 50's, with a shirt and tie.

2 guys show up, their in polo shirts, sandals, and khaki's. Neither of them are over the age of 30. And their like, sorry we're late, work was busy, we just got back from Seattle 2 days ago.

So I pretty much used a bunch of ideas I had, and asked them what exactly they do, about their typical work day/week/month, their path from school to currently, what they were involved in throughout college, etc.

It helped out that they went to the school I currently go to, so we talked about the football team, off campus housing, and fraternities. One of them was in a fraternity, and right now I live with 11 guys off campus. so they thought that was pretty funny. They pretty much gave me some advice, some clubs to look into, basic keep your grades up, be involved etc. They said they don't really offer an internship, but might be able to, and that their NYC office does.

There was one guy who had been there for about 6 years, and one guy who had been there for 1. The guy that was there for 1 year didn't intern in I-banking, and said he was pretty much "just recommended for the job" and got it, but said he works 100 hours weeks sometime.

Both of their jobs sounded very interesting, and something I am definitely interested in, and I'm glad I got my foot in the door...

Where do I go from here, obviously I will be sending an email thanking them for coming, but what is the proper way to stay into contact, and bring up an internship for next summer without being to upfront?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Read the economistcover to cover for 2 weeks before your interview and skim the WSJ, but read all of the financial times Comment & Analysis section.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

The Economist is the worlds most over-rated publication. Half the stuff it covers is about irrelevant international stuff of absolutely zero interest to an American. I've never read the FT, so I can't speak to that. But your take on the Journal is just ridiculous--maybe skip Marketplace and Personal Journal, but the Main section and Money and Investing section are must-reads.