Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Getting the \'kick\' under the table....

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Ever been in a game and all of a sudden the guy on whatever side of you gives you an adamant nudge. This happened to me awhile back. There really was no mistake the guy had a big hand and was letting me know. It caught me a bit by suprise. I was in the SB with crap so I was folding anyways, but wondered how I would've reacted had I had a decent hand. It kind of puts me in a spot, ethically, that sucks. For the record, he did show down KK.

But the other thing is, is there a nice way of telling the guy not to do it? It does make one wonder how often he does it with other people. Something extra to watch for, I guess.

Anyone else ever get the 'kick under the table'?

b
Old 07-11-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Getting the \'kick\' under the table....

Yep, guy sitting next to me donked a river flush card into my KK. He was a very nice/sociable guy and knew that I was on a rough streak. He nodded at me, sort of a non-contact nudge. I called anyway since the pot was huge but he showed me the nuts.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:06 AM

Wow I joke about this all the time like after getting caught with a guy behind me with a monster and I say "your supposed to kick me under the table when you have a hand like that" and we laugh etc. etc.

I'd be shocked if someone actually did and after the hand I would say quietly but seriously "don't do something like that for me again, I wouldn't do it for you". After that, though, I'd be concerned about the guy "warning" others at the table then and in future sessions and not sure what to do about that. I'm surprised this actually happens this is the first I've ever seen of someone saying it happened to them.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 AM

Happened to me twice over the last two months. Both times from people who I became friendly with during play. The first time, I was folding anyway and the second time I was actually going to call a small raise on the button. In each situation I was glad to get the information but I wouldn't feel bad about not returning the favor. Given the chance, I'd stack my own grandmother.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 AM

I gave a girl a little nudge under the table once after a scare card hit the river, I bet, she folded and I show K high. She showed TPTK and looked really confused.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I joke about this all the time like after getting caught with a guy behind me with a monster and I say "your supposed to kick me under the table when you have a hand like that" and we laugh etc. etc.

I'd be shocked if someone actually did and after the hand I would say quietly but seriously "don't do something like that for me again, I wouldn't do it for you". After that, though, I'd be concerned about the guy "warning" others at the table then and in future sessions and not sure what to do about that. I'm surprised this actually happens this is the first I've ever seen of someone saying it happened to them.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what makes it more suprising. As you said, we've all heard the joke about it, but to actually have it happen, it kinda freezes you a bit. It's like, 'Did I just feel that? Was that real?' By then everyone's bitching at you to act already... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

b
Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He nodded at me, sort of a non-contact nudge. I called anyway since the pot was huge but he showed me the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little different. It's not hidden under the table. Alot of those players will tend to wave off action from other people too. It never ceases to amaze me how much people wave off action with their big hands postflop.

b
Old 07-11-2006, 09:14 AM

The most memorable one I remember was at Bellagio...guy next to me kicked me in the ankle. I look over, and he showed me a royal that hit on the river. I didn't have cards, but I thought it was a really bad idea on his part, esp. if I give his hand away with my reaction. And I'm gonna see it in a few seconds, so wtf? Oh well. Never had someone do it to me when I had a live hand. I've joked about the kicking plenty of times. I should probably stop joking about it...it's a tired joke.

ScottieK
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM

This happened to me once, and I just said real loudly, "Whoa! Who's trying to play footsie?" The table laughs, but the kicker realizes you don't want him to do that...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Rub his leg gently, then when he looks at you grin. This should prevent any kicking in the future;
You may want to get up an leave depending on whether or not you get a smile back!!!