Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Horrible Time Pot Rule at Commerce

Can we change the time pot rules at the Borgata? I would like to fold under the gun and get paid.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM

What a scumbag, typical local who uses an asinine rule to freeroll tourists. I am not a violent guy but he's going to have to pry the $12 from my cold dead hands.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we change the time pot rules at the Borgata? I would like to fold under the gun and get paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

heck I'd settle for getting my UTG hand free of paying time if I'm leaving anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a total noob to the whole "time pot" concept, could someone please explain to me how it works? My impression is that the first pot after a dealer change is heavily raked to account for time for the entire table, is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

Oh, and a lol to $12 at Commerce 20/40NL, paying more than Big Game @ Bobby's Room in Bellagio. I love California.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a total noob to the whole "time pot" concept, could someone please explain to me how it works? My impression is that the first pot after a dealer change is heavily raked to account for time for the entire table, is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

Oh, and a lol to $12 at Commerce 20/40NL, paying more than Big Game @ Bobby's Room in Bellagio. I love California.

[/ QUOTE ]

That time is pretty standard actually, $11 at $10-$25NL here, if the big game is still getting $10 time (I doubt it) they are getting it as a promotion.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM

The actual rule is not that you can play up to your blinds without paying time. You are supposed to pay at the time the collection pot is taken, and then, if you leave while the light is still on, you get a blowback: they give you a slip of paper that you take up to the window and you get cash back. But most of the floormen will allow you to play up to your blinds because then they don't have to go to the trouble of writing out the blowback slip.

But the rule as Bobby explained it to you is correct, stupid as it is. Most people who are leaving on their blind will declare themselves out of collection so that in case they win the hand they aren't liable for the full table collection. I have had two occasions where I thought I was going to stay but then had to leave; I asked for the blowback and gave the money to the guy who had paid the collection. This is surely the fair thing to do. The current rule is silly. Player B shouldnt get his collection "back" if player A actually paid it.

I don't think I have enough pull there to see about changing the rule, but I'll find out.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM

The pot is not raked on the dealer's first pot of the shift. It's done on the half hour which does not correspond to the pushes.

I'm in favor of doing away with collection pots as well. If it's a time collection game, I would have a player get a button when he first locks up the seat. He has to pay 1/2 the collection if the light is on or goes on while he has the seat locked up (or if he's already in the game) and with his half collection he gives up the button. Every player then pays when the light goes on and gets no hands unless he pays right then. Easy, no arguments; your first collection is 1/2, therafter everybody pays full amount at the same time, no exceptions.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM

The problem is you don't get the $12. Under the rule, the guy who pays the collection is not entitled to it, the person who is leaving is.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM

On the half hour, there is a collection pot. Don't know how it works in the no limit games, but in the limit games if the pot is at least 10 small bets, it's a collection pot and the winner of the pot pays collection ($12/player in the 60-120, $13/player in the 100-200) for everyone who was dealt in. If you weren't dealt in, or declared yourself "out" of collection, you pay only for yourself.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is you don't get the $12. Under the rule, the guy who pays the collection is not entitled to it, the person who is leaving is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to point out the reason for this isn't some weird Commerce rule, it is because the time pot is actually an agreement between the players for one player to pay for everyone. Since they "collected $12 from each player" they would return that to the player that is leaving. Of course I agree that the player that actually paid it should get it back. It seems if they are able to make a deal among themselves to play a time pot they should manage to make another one to give the money to the player that paid it.