Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > French Forums > Forum Francophone

Old 11-11-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Mobile Phones in France

Hi guys,

Apologies for not writing this in French. As you may or may not be aware, the iPhone has just been released in the UK. I'm interested in buying one but at the same time, I'm also moving to Dubai within the next couple of months.

With O2 in the UK, if you get the iPhone, you have to lock yourself into an 18 month contract which makes it pointless for me.

However, in conversation with my dad, he believes he read an article saying how France forbids any locking of mobile phones.

I have three main questions:

a) Is this true?
b) If it is, is there any problem with me buying an iPhone in France and using it in the UK and subsequently in the UAE when I move there?
c) If I was to buy the iPhone in France, would the phone be set up in French i.e. all the text and functions in French.

I much appreciate your assistance.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Mobile Phones in France

this :
http://www.apple.com/fr/pr/20071016orange.html
basically seems to say that if you buy an i-phone in France you will need to do so with a contract with Orange.

My second thought would bebuying an iPhone in Luxembourg, maybe Andorra somewhere with low VAT. But it seems Apple's policy is to only sell iPhones with an exclusive partner that provides communication contracts. I would give Taiwan a try too if I were you.

I read here
http://www.iphonefr.com/viewtopic.ph...amp;action=new
that if you are using an unlocked iphone with the French provider, the provider is able to identify this and it seems they are not too happy about you using an unlocked iphone,They will try to sell you one of their "exclusive" iphones, they of course want to prevent the use of stolen iphones but it seems they can't legally prevent you from using an imported iphone, yet technically they would be able to. same problem may apply elsewhere. Since it is technically possible for yout ISP to Know that you are using an unlocked Iphone, you may expect the law to eventually allow them to block you since the current policy (liberalism) is heading towards more power to the corporations and less freedom to the citizens.

What about looking for a contract wit an ISP that is tailored for a globe trotter like you ? Or maybe waiting for a product that doesn't put so much emphasis on putting handcuffs on the user ?