Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]

I'm planning to study abroad in France next fall. I could probably get into most schools, maybe not the very top. Do you have any recommendations? I have taken most of my classes in my major in the US, I just have to take a couple humanities/general classes while I'm in France so a liberal arts school would be good. Do you have any idea of a school I would enjoy?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't know yet. I will ask my best friend who did an art school.

[ QUOTE ]

A place with good weather, social/nightlife, and good looking girls would be perfect, doesn't necessarily have to be in Paris.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weather is nasty in Paris for your information.
Two cities come to my mind for the weather and the number of students (which mean girls and parties) are Montpelier and Toulouse.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, do you think I will have trouble interacting with the other students? I have taken 5 years of French and am pretty confident in the grammar and vocab but my speaking skills and understanding rapid speech is a work in progress. Do you think I will pick these up quickly, and will I be able to interact? I'm a pretty outgoing guy, basically wondering if I'll be able to make friends with some French girls or if language will be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the basics you should learn fast with the practice.
[ QUOTE ]

Do many people smoke weed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM

What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

(Manquer = to miss messed with a lot of English>French speakers. I'd imagine it would be just as difficult going the other way.)
Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Est-ce que c'est vrai que les femmes francaise aiment beaucoup des hommes americains qui parlent mal francais? Nous sommes exotiques et differents, non?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you wanna go to France and chase tail? I am totally down and not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, I have been meaning to get out of the country.

Let me get some money together and we can look at this May/June period that is apparently ideal.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 PM

I've been living in Paris since September and I can say that yes, generally people are more fashionable here.
I don't see anyone "dressing down" ever really. No sweat pants or anything like that, people for the most part dress well every day. That has actually made me try to dress better. I was the average clueless American guy before but Paris has instilled a little fashion sense into me. Not that there aren't fashionable places in the US obv., but living here has given me some first hand knowledge that I wasn't taught before.

French girls are cute as hell, especially when they speak English in their French accent.

Tartiflette is the absolute [censored]! I've only had it here when I arrived the last week in August to go to Rock En Seine music festival. They had vendors that served it. I haven't had it or seen it since. Maybe this is a dumb question, I know it's a regional cuisine; are there any places in Paris that have it or am I just blind?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Is France serious about attacking Iran?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 PM

What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

Merci.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 PM

To search restaurant in Paris
http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/restaurants_paris/Restaurants
Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

Merci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Before the meal, after the meal, and in between meals.

My favorite ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reblochon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_%28cheese%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomme_de_Savoie_cheese

Never found Beaufort in the USA though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

Merci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing, someone asked my French professor which version of French did the French find more attractive, British or American, and she said that in general American and that people think that the British are snobs and speak French in that snobbish tone. She's obviously just talking about a general stereotype and has nothing against British people.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, do the French disdain or admire the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, depending on the mattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, but I'm talking about the general impression. For example, in Germany, I got the feeling that the Germans like to criticize/ridicule America(ns), but, in actuality, had some unspoken admiration for the US. Similar for the French or no?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have found French restaurants to be hit or miss. But when good, a restaurant can have amazing food. How can a foreigner determine which restaurants are good in Paris? (American travel books are pretty bad at this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

[/ QUOTE ]

But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good? I was told to avoid restaurants with translated menus, but that doesn't seem to sufficiently narrow the field.