Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Training site videos...Should they get your consent?

I'm sure the feeling would be mutual.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your OP brings up an interesting concern, but once you start boasting about how you've put $100,000 into your house and bought a BMW with your poker winnings (in the thread in coaching forum) and now talk about being +EV against Stox, you come off as someone with a big ego making a brag post. The point of your post gets lost, and thread gets locked soon because we all start flaming you and you flame back. If you are so +EV against the Stoxpoker pros who play $10/20 and $25/50, why are you wasting your talents at $3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm simply stating facts and defending myself. I bring up a valid argument about confidentiality in these videos and get bashed for it. This is an important subject matter that has yet to be discussed in this forum. I honestly feel if this training site had professionalism in mind they would have asked me if I was okay with them filming me during the HU match. They never did. I happened to stumble upon the video on my own and was upset it was out for my competition to view w/o me knowing. It's as simple as that.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Watching someone crush you HU isn't even that educational Armen :-)
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching someone crush you HU isn't even that educational Armen :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Billy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 AM

Do you ask everyone for consent when you post an HH? It's in the public domain, no such thing as confidentiality.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 AM

My two cents on the IP issues: poker games (and other games and sports) probably don't come under the umbrella of copyright law because they aren't literary or artistic works. Even if one player "fixed" the event (recorded it in a semi-permanent form), no one player is the "author" of anything, really, which is a requirement for copyright protection.

Right of publicity law prolly wouldn't apply in most jurisdictions because the training sites aren't really using the virtual name/likeness to sell something (other than their own advice). Most right of publicity cases involve using a celebrity's name or likeness to move merchandise (e.g., putting Tiger Woods' name or photo on your cereal box). The training site use is more akin to a "journalistic" depiction of the outcome of a sporting event, which generally wouldn't invade someone's publicity rights.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:59 AM

ArmenH,

I realise that Stoxpoker have kindly fixed the situation for you, but did you think that bragging about how much stuff you have bought with poker winnings and saying that you are a better player than Stox and Bryce would make them

a) more likely, or
b) less likely

to want to co-operate with you?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:12 AM

I think this is a somewhat legit concern for heads-up videos wherein a lot of the information does focus on the individual opponent, otherwise I don't really think it's an issue. The information available isn't your property per se, but it's not much hassle to block the name out out of courtesy.

Also:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Youd play Bryce or Stox HU?

[/ QUOTE ]

With a smile on my face. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the online poker sites all like the free publicity from the training sites. it is free advertising for their product.

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

Taylor, I was actually wondering about this recently. Have you really talked to reps from stars or full tilt or anywhere and heard this? On one hand it seems as if they would be upset at businesses existing that profit off the existence of their own business, but I of course see how they appreciate the free advertising... just wondering if you've heard an official word from sites about this.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:19 AM

i agree with rodeoblue.
you're not going to get paid for the video so get over yourself. neither will they add you as a pro for your balla house renovation