Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: intermittent fasting

Thremp -

I would be eating paleo foods, I never really followed zone proportions because its too hard to find paleo friendly carbs, I still eat non paleo, but on a day in/day out basis most of my food is paleo. If I'm out with friends whatever ill eat pizza, i still drink coffee, i drink alcohol, i eat dairy, so basically its not really paleo hardcore per se, rather, i just dramatically cut down on my grains and upped veggies/fruit big time...and a lot more of my fat now comes from healthy sources.

As for IF, I am not eating any less than I used to, I'm just eating it differently. There is no caloric deficit other than the minor one I have myself on in general.

So for example, my normal routine was breakfast at 8am (4 eggs and a banana) a larabar at 10am, chicken breast +veggies lunch 1230PM, workout, dinner was fish/chicken/steak + veggies (7pm).

Now I am trying to condense all that, so for instance, today was no food til noon, where I had chicken salad, tomato, cucumber salad, worked out, came home made 5 eggs, an hour later ate chicken, broccoli, some cheese, etc... all this finished by 630pm....So same amount of food, just between 12-630. Tomorrow I am going to shoot for 1pm - 6pm. Most times I am going to try and have workout days (MWF) as fasting til after the workout, so say workout from 12-130PM, then eat from 130-7PM. Fast. rinse/repeat. weekends will probably be "normal" eating patterns.

Most people that are on IF love it, but my sample is skewed as it's all the people from CF that were too hard core for the CF forums and formed their own nutrition/workout forums....

Shemp -

I would be happy with literature, but I'm pretty sure there isn't any on IF other than for C. Elegans (a nematode)...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know if you understand why you are supposed to eat 6 meals a day, its more for teh prevention of loss of lean muscle mass, than anything else. Starving yourself is bad, unless you just want to be a skinny muscleless dude, losing weight is cals in vs cals out, little else, but if you dont want your body to lose a bunch of muscle eat often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you(or anyone else) substantiate this? I haven't seen evidence that meal frequency affects body composition.

And you're not "starving yourself" on any type of IF. You eat the same number of calories you would otherwise, just all at once instead of spread out. The body can assimilate a lot of protein in one sitting and protein intake is the most important factor in sparing lean mass.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be happy with literature, but I'm pretty sure there isn't any on IF other than for C. Elegans (a nematode)...

[/ QUOTE ]

There is quite a bit on PubMed, but mostly it's about rodents.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know if you understand why you are supposed to eat 6 meals a day, its more for teh prevention of loss of lean muscle mass, than anything else. Starving yourself is bad, unless you just want to be a skinny muscleless dude, losing weight is cals in vs cals out, little else, but if you dont want your body to lose a bunch of muscle eat often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you(or anyone else) substantiate this? I haven't seen evidence that meal frequency affects body composition.

And you're not "starving yourself" on any type of IF. You eat the same number of calories you would otherwise, just all at once instead of spread out. The body can assimilate a lot of protein in one sitting and protein intake is the most important factor in sparing lean mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I can, the info is everywhere on the net Im too lazy yo post the articles. the body can assimilate a lot of protein, but you are so far of the mark when you say protien intake is the most important factor in sparing lean mass I have to question your basic understanding of nutrition.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I can, the info is everywhere on the net Im too lazy yo post the articles. the body can assimilate a lot of protein, but you are so far of the mark when you say protien intake is the most important factor in sparing lean mass I have to question your basic understanding of nutrition.

[/ QUOTE ]

If my understanding of basic nutrition is so flawed, then it should be simple to refute me. The more protein you eat, the more dietary protein the liver uses because it is more readily available than body protein to make glucose. Search for research articles on "protein sparing modified fast".
Old 09-18-2007, 02:08 AM

Are you having trouble focusing in class/ when studying at night during the fasts?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM

AZK, I do random fasting and think it is great. For example, I might just have a day where I'll get by on some coffee, a banana, and a piece of toast. I have no idea as to the exact health effects but don't observe anything beyond a little less energy. But I also feel it's very calming somehow. Great de-stresser.

The real benefit I've found from this is that it gives me more mental power over hunger. By doing this, I learned that I can ignore hunger feelings for hours. Before the fasting experiments, I was one of those people who got really impatient about needing to eat at the first sign of hunger.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Also, I don't understand why so many people think it is a big deal to skip breakfast or fast or whatever. Go back even a hundred years to where we didn't have much refridgeration or packaged foods and people "fasted" much more often. Go back 2,000 years and it's even more true.

Our bodies evolved to be able to go much more than 2 hours without eating.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM

I don't agree or dissagree with you, but making the argument that humans fasted back in the day as evidence for its healthiness is pretty weak. Humans 2k years ago rarely grew taller than 5'6" or so and most died in their 20's and 30's.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree or dissagree with you, but making the argument that humans fasted back in the day as evidence for its healthiness is pretty weak. Humans 2k years ago rarely grew taller than 5'6" or so and most died in their 20's and 30's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, humans back then often "fasted" for weeks at a time. I don't think that's a good idea. And height is going to relate to childhood nutrition rather than adult nutrition. I would probably not advise children/teens to fast, but I'm also not a doctor.

I'm also not claiming that it's healthy for adults to fast, just that I doubt it's harmful, as humans 2,000 years ago must have gone a couple of days w/o food on a pretty regular basis (or at least w/ low quality food for long periods). I think it's likely that the body has evolved to handle this sort of thing relatively well. But I'm not an evolutionary scientist or anything either.