Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Is this a set?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($88.95)
Hero ($48.25)
Button ($47.25)
SB ($91.95)
BB ($53.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($12.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero </font>
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Is this a set?

I don't think the typical player raises a set like that. CR on the flop usually means some type of draw at NL50.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM

Could be. Any reads are very helpful. Would he play this aggressively with draw, or is it definitely a made hand? AK is a strong possibility, maybe KQ if he's rather loose. He could also be making a stand with a lower pocket pair (99, TT, QQ). Against an unknown, I'd probably bet out $10 and shove after his raise. But if you know the villain is usually pretty passive, I think you can safely fold to his raise.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the typical player raises a set like that. CR on the flop usually means some type of draw at NL50.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where people are getting this kind of information, but it's so wrong imo.

People cr sets all the time, and I really don't see that many cr's with draws.

EDIT-- That being said, raise a little more preflop, bet a little more on the flop, 4bet after his raise. Too many AK/draws here to fold imo.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Its not kings often with no reraise preflop though a tricky player may have done that.

Jacks are a possiblity.

KJ is a possibility though he would have to be pretty loose to call the 3 bet preflop with kj

AK this is pretty likely

Im pushing personally in this situation.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Im pretty sure these are jacks, two pair is pretty unlikely. If he had tptk I think he would have either raised or check called. pm with what he had please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure these are jacks, two pair is pretty unlikely. If he had tptk I think he would have either raised or check called. pm with what he had please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont like this at all. You are narrowing his hand down way to much.

Why wouldnt ak go for the c/r against the op?

You are correct that Jacks are in his range but to say just that hand is not correct. You need to think in ranges.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Yes its a set all the time, please open fold preflop for metagame.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where people are getting this kind of information, but it's so wrong imo.

People cr sets all the time, and I really don't see that many cr's with draws.

EDIT-- That being said, raise a little more preflop, bet a little more on the flop, 4bet after his raise. Too many AK/draws here to fold imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been my experience that people love to slowplay sets and look to stack-a-donk/CRAI on the turn. This has been changing recently though as the skill level keeps rising. The average donk though still does something silly like min check raise or something lame like that.

Obviously in this hand, AK hits squarely in his range and make this hand profitable to play even without the draws present but, in general, if villians aren't playing draws aggresively, 4-betting on the flop with AA would not be profitable and we'd always be behind to two pair &amp; sets...so either everyone is overplaying top pair against you or you see people play draws aggresively more often than you think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
 is offline

is there a default play at spots like this? i don't think so.