FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: saddest movie you\'ve ever seen

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grave of the Fireflies
I give this answer every month when this same thread pops up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you don't bawl like a baby after seeing this movie, you have no soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I watched the first half before the DVD died and it was one of those movies where I was thinking "I don't really like this but I hear it's good so I'll force myself to finish it just so I can say I've seen it."

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have "Bambi's mom getting shot" moments, it's just after you are done watching the entire movie you'll sooner or later think about it and be overcome by profound grief.

I'm [censored] tearing up just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

I think what builds this up so much is not just the death but the horrifying sense of guilt involved. Just such enormous, unshakeable despair that it feels like a sledgehammer to the heart. That it is based on a true story makes it even more astonishingly painful.

And also it gets some of its impact from the world in which these kids live in being so out of control, and their having only the ability of children to try to survive in it. It's awful that that's not even close to enough.

Finally, there are scenes of love between the two kids that are just gentle and quietly beautiful and make your heart swell up in a positive way. The gap between what should have been, and so easily could have been, and what eventually does is really wrenching.

The special features on this are an absolute must, BTW. They explain the background of the war and of the author's own life. Tears your heart out.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grave of the Fireflies

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent one and maybe I agree on that one too. Also strongly in the running is My Life as a Dog, but it's so hilarious that sometimes the real depth of sadness in it can be almost glossed over. And, again, it's one centered on kids.

House of Sand and Fog, as someone suggested, is also a very good one.

Jacob's Ladder was pretty damn downbeat too. And Nights of Cabiria was brutally sad at the end yet at the same time preposterously upbeat. A really weird mix I don't think I've seen anywhere else.

The Christmas Tree was another one that was really depressing because a kid died in it, and so was Rage, an old George C. Scott film.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grave of the Fireflies

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent one and maybe I agree on that one too. Also strongly in the running is My Life as a Dog, but it's so hilarious that sometimes the real depth of sadness in it can be almost glossed over. And, again, it's one centered on kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, saddest movie of all time for me. Though I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies. I tear up whenever there are mom/sad moments in movies now I think because of MLAAD. Like in The Waterboy when he is on the big screen and says "I love my mama" and it goes he loves his mama... ya I shed a little tear.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grave of the Fireflies

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT
Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 AM

I don't even think I cried after seeing GOTF. I think I just felt really terrible inside. Almost broken, kind of. I couldn't stop thinking about the movie for the next 2 days or so.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:39 AM

Requiem for a Dream

Life is Beautiful

Lonesome Dove
Old 06-28-2007, 05:58 AM

Forest Gump.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even think I cried after seeing GOTF. I think I just felt really terrible inside. Almost broken, kind of. I couldn't stop thinking about the movie for the next 2 days or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen sooo many movies, but very few, even of the ones I like best, make my feelings come back vividly to where they when watching the movie like GOTF does. GOTF can still hit me hard any time I let myself think much about it.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Once Upon a Time in America is a great mafia film which is also quite sad and moving as you watch De Niro relive a life of regret.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is how i felt after requiem.