Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Standard with AK against steal attempt?

Middle of Mansion's $100k guaranteed. Blinds 100/200. 9-handed. Both Hero's and Villain's stack sizes are about 6k. No reads.

Hero is SB with AKo. Folded to Villain on button who makes it 475. Hero makes it 1400. Villain re-raises to 3k. Hero shoves.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Standard with AK against steal attempt?

Yes bad luck if your up against AA which he had. right? but pretty standard
Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 PM

ofcourse you should be way ahead of is raising range on button. Although his 4bet pf is STRONG indicator thats its not a steal. Doesnt matter really if you dont have some good reads on him (that he wouldnt 4bet pf with 10-qq or something) there is enough money in the pot so u cannot avoid the flip even on the 45 side.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 PM

Villain is 3-betting, not 4. Villain raised, Hero re-raised, Villain re-re-raised, Hero pushed.

That being said, villain seems like he is doing everything he can here to try to get a lot of money in the pot pre-flop. I would feel much better about calling a push by the villain after your raise than this little re-pop to 3K. I smell a rat. I'm not saying I'd fold this all the time, but I think you at least have to consider the possibility that you should let the hand go. This smells horribly of a high pocket pair.

--TFGoose
Old 01-31-2007, 04:07 PM

I think TFGoose's analysis is true--the 3bet is very suspicious. I doubt I'd fold either, especially online, where many players would do the same with TT-QQ and AQ/AK as well. But I agree that it's a spot where if you know the player, you can consider it.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM

yeah, ok 3-betting.

Yes thereīs definately a good hand in villains hand, but the fact that itīs btn vs sb gotta have some impact, no?

itīs a lot of money in the pot already can we really be so sure that it is aa kk in villains hand that we can fold?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes thereīs definately a good hand in villains hand, but the fact that itīs btn vs sb gotta have some impact, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It surely has an impact on our initial decision to re-raise, regardless of our holding. However, when villain re-raises us, he's saying, "no, I'm serious, I really do have a hand."

[ QUOTE ]

itīs a lot of money in the pot already can we really be so sure that it is aa kk in villains hand that we can fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I think the compelling issue here is the amount of his 3rd bet. If he shoved, I would call very confidently in a second flat. He might have us beat with a pair, but it probably isn't KK or AA, which is all you're terribly concerned about. When he repops to 3K like this, committing half his stack, he's practically begging you to call while at the same time whispering to you, "the rest is going in on the flop".

That's why I'm saying that considering a fold isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't do it every time, but you at least have to think about the opponent a little. You've traveled a tad beyond the "Button could have anything to raise there, and I actually have a good hand, let's go!" mentality. He's giving you some interesting information to work with, so think about it. That's all I'm sayin'.

--TFGoose
Old 01-31-2007, 04:51 PM

yes i agree that i would call a repush in a heartbeat and in cases like these id stop a quick moment before most often pushing anyhow. And for the record this is AA KK a lot more than when repushed. But im still working on folding AK in pf situations like these.....hehe.