Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]

Is this type of personal attack really necessary? My point was that your point about 0.8 (sic, but who cares, I got your point) definitively "affecting ability to drive" is wrong, it's been proven wrong, and we've been through this already. But I mean whatever, obviously attacking me as a person nullifies all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, it was uncalled for. next time i'll just point out that you're a dick.

i haven't "been through this" since i don't read every thread in OOT, so my apologies if the official indisputable OOT stance is that 0.08 doesn't affect your ability to drive.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A cop has to have a reason to pull you over

[/ QUOTE ]
"LOL"

[/ QUOTE ]

"LOL" all you want, its cute. However, its true. Even if its something as weak as failing to signal or not coming to a complete stop at a red light when you're going to make a right turn. Save the cutesy "zomg cops have too much power" for another thread, please.

I'm not saying it has to be a STRONG reason, but unless they're at a DUI checkpoint where they basically do everybody, they HAVE to have a reason logged for pulling you over. Simple as that. Keep it on the straight and narrow and don't give them one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bull. [censored]. [censored]. Move to where I've lived my whole life and you will know better.

1) I was pulled over after 1AM (bar time) for driving north on Scottsdale Rd. when the cop and I were the only two on the road. He followed me for 2+ miles and said I was "weaving". Yeah right, jackass, it's just you and me on the road do you think I would be driving anything but the straightest line in the world? Weirder yet, I had recently had my car broken into and my wallet stolen and as such had no driver's license, nor for whatever reason proof of insurance nor registration. Yet he let me go without a ticket, why would he do this? Becuase he pulled me over for no reason and realized I wasn't drunk, that's why.

2) A year or two later I was driving with two friends and again it was just me and a cop on the road at bar time. He was ahead of me as I approached a four-way stop. He made a left, I made a VERY complete stop, yet he flipped a bitch and pulled me over. Reason? I "didn't make a complete stop". You know, [censored] that. I goddamned well made a complete stop BECAUSE I KNEW HE WAS WATCHING. But again, I wasn't drunk, he figured this out pretty quickly and let me go.

3) about a year after that I was pulled over in late afternoon going to play street pickup basketball with a friend of mine. Our crime? Being two guys wearing t-shirts and driving together, i.e. profiling. Again, I wasn't doing anything wrong so I was let go.

If you honestly think you can't be pulled over for any reason you are kidding yourself, and could be in for a rude awakening.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*insert Daliman reference*

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was talking per mille, which is standard in europe. next time i'll try to remember to convert to american.

[/ QUOTE ]

*insert comment about which country Im in and which country you're in right now*

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm on the internet. where are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries

[X] America
[ ] The Internet

[/ QUOTE ]

the only country i see between Algeria and Andorra is American Samoa. where is this America you speak of?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I've already said, there's been virtually no effect on the number of "alcohol-related" car deaths (which is a pretty skewed stat anyways) since the drop from .10 to .08 Yet the number of arrests has almost doubled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to any of these studies?

The obvious problem here is that when arrests double, it means there is a decent chance that the population (on the whole) didnt change its behaviour, either because they didnt know about the new law or chose to ignore it. If that is true, the fact that accident rates are similar is expected.

I tried to find something on google scholar, but couldnt. However, there was a good article showing that the law change in Denmark from 0.08 to 0.05 BAC (evidently some of Europe uses BAC), didnt have an effect on accident rates. And it appeared to be a pretty solid look at all the variables, though it admittedly had a smallish sample size of 10 months.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was talking per mille, which is standard in europe. next time i'll try to remember to convert to american.

[/ QUOTE ]

*insert comment about which country Im in and which country you're in right now*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[X] America
[ ] The Internet

[/ QUOTE ]

the only country i see between Algeria and Andorra is American Samoa. where is this America you speak of?

[/ QUOTE ]

this would have worked a lot better without that quote up there.

anyway, this sub-discussion is pointless. we should prob. stop.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A cop has to have a reason to pull you over

[/ QUOTE ]
"LOL"

[/ QUOTE ]

"LOL" all you want, its cute. However, its true. Even if its something as weak as failing to signal or not coming to a complete stop at a red light when you're going to make a right turn. Save the cutesy "zomg cops have too much power" for another thread, please.

I'm not saying it has to be a STRONG reason, but unless they're at a DUI checkpoint where they basically do everybody, they HAVE to have a reason logged for pulling you over. Simple as that. Keep it on the straight and narrow and don't give them one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bull. [censored]. [censored]. Move to where I've lived my whole life and you will know better.

1) I was pulled over after 1AM (bar time) for driving north on Scottsdale Rd. when the cop and I were the only two on the road. He followed me for 2+ miles and said I was "weaving". Yeah right, jackass, it's just you and me on the road do you think I would be driving anything but the straightest line in the world? Weirder yet, I had recently had my car broken into and my wallet stolen and as such had no driver's license, nor for whatever reason proof of insurance nor registration. Yet he let me go without a ticket, why would he do this? Becuase he pulled me over for no reason and realized I wasn't drunk, that's why.

2) A year or two later I was driving with two friends and again it was just me and a cop on the road at bar time. He was ahead of me as I approached a four-way stop. He made a left, I made a VERY complete stop, yet he flipped a bitch and pulled me over. Reason? I "didn't make a complete stop". You know, [censored] that. I goddamned well made a complete stop BECAUSE I KNEW HE WAS WATCHING. But again, I wasn't drunk, he figured this out pretty quickly and let me go.

3) about a year after that I was pulled over in late afternoon going to play street pickup basketball with a friend of mine. Our crime? Being two guys wearing t-shirts and driving together, i.e. profiling. Again, I wasn't doing anything wrong so I was let go.

If you honestly think you can't be pulled over for any reason you are kidding yourself, and could be in for a rude awakening.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what you're telling me is that the cops in your area suck and may make up a reason or exaggerate their suspicions. I'm sorry that happens. And you know what, since you're so up in arms about this, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm lucky enough to live in areas where the cops don't suck. However, you didn't exactly disprove my statement. They had a reason, and I wasn't there. I never even said they had to be perfectly, beyond a shadow of a doubt right about their reason. I've been pulled over twice for kinda weak reasons (1 for not coming to a complete stop, and 1 for not signaling a lane change) but I wasn't drunk either.

I guess it always goes to the quality of police where you live. And as I said, there's one REALLY easy way to not get DUI's even if you choose to live in a place with cops who will stop you for weak reasons.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 AM

lol BASIC
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, there was a good article showing that the law change in Denmark from 0.08 to 0.05 BAC (evidently some of Europe uses BAC)

[/ QUOTE ]

BAC per cent is the same as BAC per mille. my guess is they measure it/quote it per mille in denmark, but i could be worng. they likely converted it for the article.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[X] America
[ ] The Internet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this would have worked a lot better without that quote up there.

anyway, this sub-discussion is pointless. we should prob. stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right. next time i will say united statesian of america.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 AM

Yeah, there's one easy way to avoid a DUI, which is to call a cab. The problem is that there's a risk/reward issue here. Cabs are ridiculously expensive, and I won't be able to go out and party as often due to financial restraints if I go down that road. You do hear about celebrities getting DUIs quite often, but I'd bet that middle and lower class people receive them at much higher rates.