Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Note taking while playing online

Can anyone share their note taking strategies during online play? I prefer to use paper rather than the online notes pane.

Thx
Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Note taking while playing online

Make note of anything that stands out. There was a great post from BisonBison called "notes on notes" It may be linked in the Micros FAQ or you could search for it.

Use the note pane(or add them to PT) that way you have them whenever you play with a specific player. Also, come up with some shorthand. For example lspf, 2s FCP = loose preflop, plays any two suited, will raise for free card
Old 10-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Use all the shorthand you can, even if you invent your own.

I use notes in Poker Tracker and not at the site. If you are into note taking, then you are probably ready for Poker Tracker if you don't have it yet.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM

Why dont you use the notes on the websites? THat is the best way (or poker tracker in conjuction with poker ace hud).

If you dont have Poker Tracker and Poker Ace Hud, get them now or you will be WAY behind.

Cheers,
Nima
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 AM

I also note specific information. Some players will ALWAYS bet from LP on the flop if there was no action before them. Note what hands they raise with, or DON'T raise with (I've seen some that won't raise with AA).
I also always date my notes. You can put more stock into recent notes than something from a year or two ago.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Make sure to read every hand history when it shows down. There's an absolute wealth of information in every one. At the low stakes you can be pretty sure they aren't mixing their game up so if you see them slow play a set they *always* slow play a set. If you see them min-raise a draw in position, they *always* min-raise a draw in position.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 AM

I typically write down the hand history and how the villan played the hand. Some general notes like 'called w. 2nd pair on a K8xxx board for 100bbs' or something like that.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks All for the useful advice
Old 10-13-2006, 01:46 PM

I often take notes on paper, since I use pen and paper for my offline study of individual opponents. When I'm putting notes into a box while playing, typically it's something that indicates clearly a players style or tendancies. Calls down with any part of the board. Blind steal with garbage against a player who hasn't layed down his big blind - ever. I've got my own shorthand for this, but it's so convoluted that it wouldn't make any sense to most players.

Bison's "notes on notes" is really an excellent post.

I'll be detailing what I do eventually put into notes in a post later today, probably in the small stakes forum. I've found this method, while it takes much longer than jotting down some notes develops MUCH better reads on opponents tendancies, and will make you a better player over the long run.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:18 PM

Thanks Orianas. I'll search the "notes on notes" post. Looking fwd to your notes details.

BTW - nice avitar