Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 AM

Default CFL vs. NCAA

Who would win in a game between the best team in the CFL lets says Sasketchewan for now (Happy T-God)vs. LSU. Assume that coaches had enough time to correctly game plan so that wouldn't be factor.
Who wins on a CFL field/rules?
Who wins on an NCAA field/rules?
CFL players are usually good college players often guys who washed out of the NFL they also need to have a specific amount of Canadian players per team, which hurts the overall league quality.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: CFL vs. NCAA

I think CFL both ways, but I'm not really sure.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 AM

LSU only wins playing Canadian rules, b/c Les Miles thinks the rules are the same and never punts on third down. Balls >>>> talent (even if the balls are unintentional).

Serious answer: I think the more disciplined and experienced professionals are better and easier to coach, and would beat a slightly more talented (?) but much less disciplined LSU team regardless of rules.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 AM

not that many cfl players migrate to the nfl, right? i know there's a handful of big name skill position players, but I don't really know of any offensive linemen or anything

i would guess there's lots of 27 year olds in the CFL who didn't get much of an NFL shot when they were 22 due to some combination of not being very good at the time and talent evaluators being wrong, that are now NFL caliber players.

it's possible that the gap between NFL starters and 22 year olds that don't get a shot is so massive that no amount of getting better as you age is going to make up for it, but my intuition is that the CFL talent level is a lot higher than it should be as more or less a minor league for the NFL
Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would guess there's lots of 27 year olds in the CFL who didn't get much of an NFL shot when they were 22 due to some combination of not being very good at the time and talent evaluators being wrong, that are now NFL caliber players.

it's possible that the gap between NFL starters and 22 year olds that don't get a shot is so massive that no amount of getting better as you age is going to make up for it, but my intuition is that the CFL talent level is a lot higher than it should be as more or less a minor league for the NFL

[/ QUOTE ]

these are good points b/c no matter how good a college team is it will only have a few players who are capable of starting on the nfl and maybe a couple who can play at a high level. the best players from a top ncaa program will obv be more talented than the cfl players, but on the whole i think the edge lies with the cfl by a fair margin.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 AM

Does anyone think this question is more intriguing with a CFL All-Star team vs. an NCAA All-American team?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sasketchewan for now (Happy T-God)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good effort on the spelling btw. So close.

On any given CFL team there are tons of guys who had very good/great college careers. Add to that the experience factor and I don't think it's a contest. There's alot of deadweight on any NCAA team who would never have a shot at being a pro, so there would be too many weaknesses. Plus remember that most of the CFL guys have alot of experience playing NCAA rules. And Fantuz can totally learn them. Even if you take a team with quite a few future NFLers you have to consider the amount of training and work goes into the transformation between college and the NFL that these guys won't have yet.

Now Hamilton is a different story....
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 AM

The NCAA teams might have the top 5 - 10% of the players on the field, but overall the CFL guys are better. The CFL is made up of guys who were almost NFL players, while most NCAA teams are made up of guys who won't even get a sniff in the arena league.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think this question is more intriguing with a CFL All-Star team vs. an NCAA All-American team?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this would be close. NCAA has such a larger talent pool and there are probably a decent amount of NCAA players who could be NFL players this year, can't say that about many CFL Players, especially if you choose to count Juniors who left early. FWIW I think the biggest difference would be line play, Dorsey would eat up most CFL O-Lines.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this would be close. NCAA has such a larger talent pool and there are probably a decent amount of NCAA players who could be NFL players this year, can't say that about many CFL Players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the NCAA would win, but it might be close. There is a learning curve for even the best first year players in the NFL. The experience of the CFL guys would keep it close, but in the end the talent would win out.

**EDIT**

I actually think that this series would be a split, with the CFL guys winning on the CFL field.