Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 AM

Default To everyone bashing Pokernews

I understand that they aren't doing a good job. Acting like this is different than last year is a joke though. Card Player was TERRIBLE last year, constantly making mistakes in their reporting. I am starting to believe that it is probably tougher than any of us give credit for, especially when the retards at Harrah's use one color for the last 4 chips in play only changing the shade of that color. I'm pretty sure there is a reason other than money that Pokernews got coverage rights this year, and that reason is how bad Card Player was before.

I also know that BJ is trying really hard to give us the best coverage possible and I would wager that if they are the primary reporter again next year the coverage will be much better.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: To everyone bashing Pokernews

I'm just amazed we didn't get pictures of the final 27 or something. That is like basic basic and they failed miserably at it.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:26 AM

I have myself done a lot of live coverage from mainly the European Poker Tour, for example hand by hand coverage from the final tables.

I remember last year when CardPlayer had the coverage. It was really really terrible. This year it is not perfect, but it is WAY better than last year.

I can tell you one thing: It is really really hard to do good livereports. You are not allowed to sit by the table with a computer, you have to run to a media room long way behind to get down the story. You are not allowed to do chipcounts (you have to stand by tre rail and try to count the chips by the eye. The staff will treat you like [censored], security are all over you.

So give these guys a break. To be able to cover at tournament good, you will need one reporter for every four tables. That will be a staff of roughly 100 persons (*), to get the quality you guys want...

I can agree with the lack of photos - that are the easiest part to do, and also the part that the wiewers appriciate the most.

(*) 1600 players/day = 160 tables = 40 reporters/shift
Old 07-16-2007, 05:28 AM

gdaily I understand what you're saying about covering 1600 players, but today we only had 3 tables and the coverage STILL sucked. That's not acceptable.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gdaily I understand what you're saying about covering 1600 players, but today we only had 3 tables and the coverage STILL sucked. That's not acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone who has this opinion also followed the coverage on Card Player last year then you have to realize that it might be a lot harder than we think, especially since ESPN and their cameras get in the way more and more involved as the tournament rolls on. Card Player was making at least as many mistakes as Pokernews is, probably more, and wasn't correcting them
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM

People are bashing PN for the same reason they bash the dealer when their opponent sucks out on them.

They have no emotional control and are results oriented morons who are currently pissed at a few key eliminations.

PokerNews has done a great job for the past month. Fantastic when you consider how much we pay for the service. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 AM

PokerNews has done a great job. What are you guys talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerNews has done a great job. What are you guys talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting your updates?

How much are you paying for your updates?

When volunteer reporters get 99%+ of things right and make corrections when we point them out, and encourage us to point them out, and try their best to be as fast as possible with the results, an honest person has to say they are doing a great job.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 AM

I think Pokernews is doing on the whole, a much, much better job than Cardplayer. However, there were a few parts of the Cardplayer coverage I liked, and hope they try to be able to incorporate next year: linkage to players stats for all players, graph chip count tracking in addition to numerical, and more photos and blogs. I definitely prefer them, and hope they get the next contract, although ideally we would be like all other sports and coverage would not be on an exclusive rights basis.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting your updates?

How much are you paying for your updates?

When volunteer reporters get 99%+ of things right and make corrections when we point them out, and encourage us to point them out, and try their best to be as fast as possible with the results, an honest person has to say they are doing a great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you thought I was being sarcastic or something, but I wasn't. I've been reading PN obsessively during the ME and the coverage is excellent.