Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 09-23-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Omaha 8 Books

I suggest Ray Zee's book as my first choice. If you do not understand the bare mechanics of O8, then any book should do in order to learn how to read the board and your hand. Once you are beyond this point, if you have any general poker experience whatsoever, I say go straight to Ray.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8 Books

I just got cappalleti's book. I don't like it so far. He's very sporadic with his ideas and there's a lot of pointless and tedious info in there. Someone please tell me it gets better. Has anyone read both ray zee's and cappalletti's book? Is the ray zee book a better read?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:38 PM

how about super system 2 section on Omaha 8/better?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:48 PM

zee's book is good but not long enough. there's no good full length book for this game yet.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:52 PM

the OH8 section in SS2 is pretty good IMO, although it is entirely focused on FL.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8 Books *DELETED*

Let's keep this thread book-only based. TIA.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 PM

I have not read Ray Zee's book, but heard good things.

I have read the following:

SUPER SYSTEM 2 SECTION ON OMAHA HI/LO My first introduction to the game and a great primer to get started playing profitably at lower limit loose-passive games.

CAPELLETI'S BOOK ON OMAHA HI/LO I actually enjoyed this book, although it's not as well organized as the section in Super System 2. I think it covers some more advanced play compared with the SS2 section, you might want to reread this a few times and you'll pick up additional insight.

After you've gained the fundamentals, it's all about live experience playing to know when you can successfully pull off bluffs (or set them up on the turn in case you miss on the river but your opponent likely missed as well)

For the most part, you don't have to get too tricky in O8 if you practice good table selection. You can just nut peddle while donkeys are raising with their King-high flushes on low flops.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 AM

I have read each of these books more than once and would recommend them in the order they are listed. Any intelligent poker player should be able to get something out of any book they read, and I recommend going back and looking through things you have already read because you will take something differently than the first time & it is likely to help.

1. High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players - Ray Zee

2. How to win at Omaha High-Low - Mike Cappelletti

3. Winning Omaha/8 Poker - Tenner/Krieger

4. Championship Omaha - Cloutier/McEvoy

I never bothered picking up SS2 because I thought it would mostly recycle the same things as SS1. I guess I should have a look at it.

One other book I have found to be helpful is Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker by Stewart Reuben & Bob Ciaffone. I is not specifically an Omaha book but does give some insight into the game & can increase your general knowledge of pl & nl at any game.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 PM

I beleive the books should be listed in reverse order as you have listed (can't say about McEvoy/Cloutier book, though).

Capelletti goes into in depth hand analysis that will throw off a lot of new players. I was only able to appreciate the book after reading the S/S 2 chapter, Tenner and Krieger and Zee.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM

4. Championship Omaha - Cloutier/McEvoy

I play a lot of O8, so I probably got enough value out of this book to justify the price. However, I was really disappointed in the presentation. It sounded like they dictated this book to their editor over a few beers. There is no plan to the book, and much of the advice is not explained very well. (I am spoiled by Buzz's posts.) There is also a lot of horribly useless filler. Add to that the fact that it is only partially about O8, and the example hands aren't tailored to O8, and I don't think I will ever bother to reread the whole thing.

Effen