Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Brain storm: How do we bring down Absolute?

The more public this becomes the worst it is for online poker in general. This will only give the avg player another reason not to play online. I feel for the players that were victims of the superuser but fear that if this became big news to the general public we would all suffer.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The more public this becomes the worst it is for online poker in general. This will only give the avg player another reason not to play online. I feel for the players that were victims of the superuser but fear that if this became big news to the general public we would all suffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying to say the same. The thing is people on 2p2 don't realize that the average person will not distinguish between AP and any other site. They will hear that online poker is 'rigged' (just like they always thought) and won't play anywhere. Why the hell is everyone on here so excited to get this out in the open?? As I've said in previous posts, if you don't like AP, don't F***ING play there.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying to say the same. The thing is people on 2p2 don't realize that the average person will not distinguish between AP and any other site. They will hear that online poker is 'rigged' (just like they always thought) and won't play anywhere. Why the hell is everyone on here so excited to get this out in the open?? As I've said in previous posts, if you don't like AP, don't F***ING play there.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I personally don't care. It is better to take the near term publicity hit than to let this site go on essentially stealing a million dollars from its customers.

Understand this: it doesn't have to be an upper management hack for this to be true. The site has a responsibility to the players to keep their money safe, and this breach, even if its by one rogue programmer, is functionally equivalent to a hacker stealing a million dollars from people's account balances at whatever bank AP uses. As long as AP denies a hack took place, they are complicit in that theft, and that in turn means that in the future, others can go on doing the same thing without repercussions. Security through obscurity doesn't work.

At this point, either AP refunds the affected players' money and explains themselves (not even necessarily publicly - if they had made it clear they were on top of it to those of us doing the digging two weeks ago, I for one would happily have dropped and buried the whole thing), or they can be blacklisted by the entire industry. The fact that we now know it was an inside job for certain makes it imperative that this happens.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 AM

In my defense, I posted that before I knew this was actually an inside job.

Now I am joining the boycott whether it exists or not.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I agree. The last thing we need is for this to get on 60 Minutes and have casual players and people like my mom freaking out.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:30 AM

Even more newsworthy than a cheating online site is the fact online players now have the means and technology to bust one. Silver lining.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 PM

You just get it out into the mainstream press.
It's interesting enough even to a non-poker player as a human interest/technology story.

Also sites like BW blacklisting are are going to have some effect.

If the first thing you came across when you searched on google was a googlebomb for the superuser scandal that might hurt them a bit too. (try 'French Military Victories' for an example [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this boycott gets big (which it won't) make sure you boys keep us updatd on your success... I don't have an account there currently but if this thing is successful (which it won't be) you can count on me being among the first scab players to cross your digital picket line into the 2+2 nit-free site...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unaware of the new information and have sense read up on the new developments... I will continue my non-playing at AP...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, how can we hurt them the most?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spread the word that they have WMDs and/or copious amounts of oil?