Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Poker Calculators

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advise when it comes to choosing a poker calculator or if there is any good sites that reviews some of the poker calculators and which ones are the best?
I'm looking to buy one and have seen many but no where seems to compare them to distinguish the good from the bad.
I've seen one's called magic holdem, calculatem pro, poker indicator and holdem genius that look quite good.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Simon
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Poker Calculators

Pokerstove for free

Simulates hands and calculates equity, simulates range vs. range too.

Won't tell you anything about pot odds, but those you should learn how to do without a calculator, anyway.

Pokerstove + knowing how to calculate EV is all you really need.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:17 PM

are the one's i've mentioned a bit rubbish then? I'm not sure whether these things help or hinder your playing.
i've been told by friends that they're good but looking for a more in depth opinion from people who might use them.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Pokerstove is awesome, but I never use a calculator while playing. It's best to learn without out. We're actually discussing this in another thread right now...

The best way to learn+improve is to do your calculating AFTER you play a session. Write down hands of interest, check PokerTracker for losing hands, scour through them and find out where you went wrong, using raw math or a calculator. Pokerstove handles all this fine.

Doing it this way rather than buying a calc to use while playing ensures that you actually learn the concepts behind poker, rather than simply relying on a computer to tell you what to do- you'll be glad you did in the end.

On that note, if you really want to buy a calculator, I've heard Texas Calculatem is great. I just can't justify paying for it when you can get Pokerstove free.