Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Default B vs. B facing min raise with 69o

This is from the $3 rebuy. There are about 550ish left i have a slightly under average stack

The min raise has been villain's standard raise. This is the first time it's been folded to him in the sb, but he has raised in LP a few times. I have an agressive image and haven't really shown down any hands at this table. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t14185)
Hero (t23248)
UTG (t4315)
UTG+1 (t22265)
MP1 (t15786)
MP2 (t21858)
MP3 (t10595)
CO (t9829)
Button (t19839)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t23173</font>
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: B vs. B facing min raise with 69o

With you having an aggressive image I don't like it that much. It's one thing to have a rockish image and resteal over the top of a probable thief. But when you're already wearing the aggressive hat, it isn't as profitable. SB could decide to call with all kinds of hands here, and while you may be live, I don't know that this move will work often enough to justify risking over half your stack.

Wait for a slightly more solid holding, or just steal from a couple folks yourself. You have nearly 20BB, which is fine for doing normal steals. You're not relegated to only doing resteals at this stage, and you have the added bonus of being able to bust anyone at the table right now.

I'd let this one go.

--TFGoose
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM

I normally interpret the min-raise as one of two things, a monster or a reasonable heads-up holding like a pair, Ax, Kx, JTs, etc. I don't fold to a min raise with that deep a stack especially if he's been agressive in late position and standard betting a min-raise. However I look for stronger hands then 96o to resteal. I'd call and see a flop - you're getting good pot odds and you'll have position.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Have you seen him raise and fold to a reraise, though?

Since it's his standard raise, he could easily have a marginal holding, but against many bad players you have 0 folding equity once they've decided to raise--especially when they're short.

In a vacuum, it isn't a terrible play if you have a read that villain is capable of folding a good portion of his open-raising range--your cards don't really matter in that situation.