Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: VL Trip Report: Usher, Apathy, and Irieguy Sail the Sea of Cortez

Over the summer Malia told me you guys were planning a sailing trip and it sounded like fun but this just blows away anything I envisioned.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 AM

This is just an awesome trip report and I am left completely envious of all of you. Doing something like this just shot up to the top of my list of things to do at some point in my life.

Irie, I'd like to know about how you went about learning to sail and what the requirements are to navigate a trip like this. How long did it take you to plan this trip? Looks like the weather was perfect the entire time, and I think the photos really bring out the life in this TR.

Another question about the Tecate cerveza. I remember buying a case of that stuff when I was in California last New Year's and remember it tasting not so great. Is it noticeably better in Mexico?

Such a sick TR, thanks for posting!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 AM

sigh..[censored] you Irie for not thinking of me first.

meh, maybe it's for the best, i coulda never gone, and then i spose it would be worse. next time I'm drunk enough in yer presence I'll tell ya all the stuff that woulda made a trip impossible right now. it's been..hmm....er...interesting?

Glad to see 3 of my favorite people looking great and having fun, as it should be.

Steve
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 AM

Everything about this report was A+. The tone and pictures conveyed a light and airy mood with fun on the horizon. I felt like I had stepped aboard for a minute and taken a 5 minutes vacation.
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Thanks...I’m sitting in my office in London. Its pigging freezing outside and some guy with a drill yards outside our building has been going at it for two weeks.
Thanks to reading this I now feel sick as well.
Awesome report and pics....soooooo jealous.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Sick, sick, sick - nicely done!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is just an awesome trip report and I am left completely envious of all of you. Doing something like this just shot up to the top of my list of things to do at some point in my life.

Irie, I'd like to know about how you went about learning to sail and what the requirements are to navigate a trip like this. How long did it take you to plan this trip? Looks like the weather was perfect the entire time, and I think the photos really bring out the life in this TR.

Another question about the Tecate cerveza. I remember buying a case of that stuff when I was in California last New Year's and remember it tasting not so great. Is it noticeably better in Mexico?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found that some Beer is "place" sensitive [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] St.Pauli Girl tastes better at Octoberfest in Munich [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]Guiness tastes better in Northern Ireland when sitting in front of the fire ia a cozy pub [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Tecate absolutely needs a squeeze of lime in the can and a shot of Tequila [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 04:01 PM

i think i saw a pack of cigars in one of the pics...were u all smokin ganga? or just puffini on them when the sun went down?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Irie-

awesome trip. one question/comment. what are the stipulations to just rent a cat. and take it around the sea? i didn't catch if you guys had a captain or whether it was just you sailing. i am under the impression that they just you go by yourselves but this seems somewhat unlikely.

congrats on awesomeness.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a Basic Keelboat Certification from either ASA or US Sailing in a 3-4 day course. I did this over Memorial Day weekend. Then Coastal Cruising is about the same length course, which I completed over Labor Day. I wanted to take the navigation course and the Bareboat Charter classes, but I didn't have time so I just read a bunch of books and taught myself how to navigate and read charts. Most charter companies don't require official certifications, they just want you to tell them that you have some experience and you know what you are doing. I felt comfortable, but without at least a few classes it wouldn't be any fun at all trying to figure out how to bring the boat into and out of a marina or gas dock, especially in the wind.

We got lucky with the weather, but we did have some high winds and seas. We picked the time of year based on the likelihood of favorable weather.

Tecate tastes great in Mexico. Dos Equis is great also. We had regular Modelo too, which blew, but Negra Modelo is great. It all tastes pretty good cold when you are camping or sailing though, ya know?

It was the best trip of my life and I would rather go sailing than do anything else for a vacation.

Irieguy