Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:58 PM

Default 2.20 sat to 100k strategy

Recently I have found these tournaments to be quite soft but I still don't find myself beating these tournaments consistently enough to be happy. I was just wondering what strategies do you guys go about these sats especially in the mid/late stages.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: 2.20 sat to 100k strategy

I push TP any kicker (more often heads up) and good draws (mulitway or heads up). Call some, push a lot. Go all-in with the nuts or a good made hand, you will get calls by players drawing.

This is a high variance scenario. It's put up or shut up. No farting around. Pick a good spot and lay it on the line. Remember, it's better to be the one moving all-in. You want to leverage that 5% fold equity and sometimes that's your edge.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Re: 2.20 sat to 100k strategy

One thing I find particularly important in the non-SNG satellites is accurately guaging when you can fold into the money. Once you reach this point, any chips you put in have, at most, 0 EV. As a default, I try go get enough chips to last until the 600/1200 level (about 7,500 chips at the end of the first hour), but this changes substantally based on table conditions. You don't need as many chips if there are people on your right who continually give you blind passes, for instance. Chronic stallers and shorthanded bubble play (a tournament with 18-20 seats paying) means you'll need extra chips.

Particularly key is estimating when the tournament will end. If people are getting knocked out quickly and it looks like the tournament will end at the 400/800 or 500/1000 levels, you can potentially fold out with as little as 5,000 chips.

When I'm within a double-up of reaching that fabled fold-out number, I tend to tighten up and look for quality hands or quality stealing situations to push. At this point, I only need one or two of these situations to finish in the money, and I can afford to be patient. Deciding who you can steal from late is key. Players with 7k-10k chips who seem to be folding out are ideal. Less then ideal are players with 15k+ stacks. Usually those players have been taking unnecessary risks to get their stacks (which means they've been playing when they should have been folding out), but they'll feel that they can look you up without seriously hurting their chance to win.

Again, resist the temptation to play anything once you think your stack is large enough to fold out.

I hope this helps and was at least moderately coherent.