Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 AM

Default How did I play this?

Hi. I am new to posting here. I was just wondering how I played this hand. Any comments? Did the villain have something from the beginning and he was just stringing me along b/c I was betting first?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t1455)
CO (t2570)
Button (t655)
Hero (t3180)
BB (t2255)
UTG (t3285)
UTG+1 (t4120)
MP1 (t4880)
MP2 (t4600)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t300) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t600) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150.

River: (t900) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t750</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1800
Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: How did I play this?

If we're playing T5 from the SB we're raising with it. Why play a terrible hand OOP?

Our bets never meant anything, the story they told was "Well, I don't know why I'm here but be a pal and fold, willya?"
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Really, really badly from the turn onwards. Not well prior.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM

fold pre...if you decide to bluff the flop (bad idea) stop after he calls...if you get to the river just check call
Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 AM

What you are doing here is a common (and horrible) betting strategy I would see from a lot of players in $1 SnG's-- putting the minimum bet in on every street.

It can be somewhat irritating being on the other side of this min-betting since you can't get a read on what your opponent has, but I've found that more often than not a player who does this has nothing, as you did here.

What did your opponent have? I don't know but I'm pretty sure you were never ahead in this hand. If he has seen you do this before, he might have actually had trip 9's and was stringing you along since he knew you would do this. Alternatively, consider that maybe he had KJ. he did not have the odds to call your bet on the flop to make his straight, but he probably considered pairing his King and maybe even his Jack as outs. Then there would be 450 in the pot, giving him 3 to 1. When you made the same minimum bet on the turn, the pot is now 750, which would offer him 5 to 1. If he wasn't folding last time, there is even less reason for him to do so this time.

As for what I'd do differently, I'm folding this 90% of the time. If I have seen that the BB is overly tight then I might try a steal here. If you are playing low stakes I would stick to playing premium hands only. Most likely you do not have the reading ability to gamble on marginal hands and even if you did most of your opponents will not fold out anyway if they catch any piece of the flop.

Also, if you see someone trying to minbet you every time, I might consider sticking in a raise. There is a good chance they will fold right there. If they call that means they might actually have something, and you will have a better idea of where you stand.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the helpful comments. I really appreciate it. I'll try to keep learning!

And, on second thought, that was an especially helpful post from Quad. Thanks man. Your explanation was awesome.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 AM

You basically built a pot for him to steal. Next time just fold garbage from SB PF.