Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Default MSN Money

When I scan through the different websites, I always check out the money sections of sites like MSN and CNN. I particularly like the information found on CNN. Its seems though that every week I read MSN, they are predicting the end of the world.

Currently they have an article going about how Bernanke is the worst Fed Chief ever and so on and so on. You head of to CNN and there is a similar article about how he is just more risk adverse and isnt going to react like the previous Fed Chief.

So is MSN just overreacting for ratings or are they just that bearish?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: MSN Money

[ QUOTE ]
When I scan through the different websites, I always check out the money sections of sites like MSN and CNN. I particularly like the information found on CNN. Its seems though that every week I read MSN, they are predicting the end of the world.

Currently they have an article going about how Bernanke is the worst Fed Chief ever and so on and so on. You head of to CNN and there is a similar article about how he is just more risk adverse and isnt going to react like the previous Fed Chief.

So is MSN just overreacting for ratings or are they just that bearish?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, people who know what they are talking about in these areas don't write for MSN Money or CNN. Bernanke has forgotten more about monetary policy than the entire staff of MSN Money will ever know.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Most financial media is worthless. They won't stake their journalistic reputations by sticking their necks out and make rational copy. They write what people want to read about, not what's good for them.

I use all financial media - CNBC, WSJ, CNN business etc, for entertainment purposes only. I believe it's all -EV

People will flame me for this, but It doesn't bother me.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most financial media is worthless. They won't stake their journalistic reputations by sticking their necks out and make rational copy. They write what people want to read about, not what's good for them.

I use all financial media - CNBC, WSJ, CNN business etc, for entertainment purposes only. I believe it's all -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. What is your approach to the financial world?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. What is your approach to the financial world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't use FA, mostly because I don't have an edge with this analysis.

I use 2 approaches. One long term trend following, and the other fading short term overbought/oversold. They are conflicting approaches but I use different markets for each approach. They are psychologically difficult to implement, hence I ignore the fuzz and haze of the financial press.

I only need data, not opinions of journalists. IBD may be useful for the data they publish, but there's no data I use that can't be found for free.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 AM

I dont use them for investment advice, but they are fun to read. I particularly like the CNN Money Personal Finance section as I do think it has good 401k advice and so forth in terms of basic future planning.

My question was more so that it seems like every week MSN is trying to tell you the world is collapsing and so forth. I definitely dont read MSN for any value as I dont even think their personal section is any good either.

Just wanted to see what people thought about their sky is falling approach.