Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Default $16 Stars - AK hand early against multi-tabler.

Villain is Malnek who I believe posts here and I think has just moved up from the 6.5s. He was sat at nine of my tables and when theres a decent tag at all my tables I like to mess with them a bit.

My thinking is that his most likely holdings are middle pairs 77-JJ. These outway the chance that he called with a baby pair and made a set or limped a big pair. If I push then it looks like my hand has to be AA-QQ or AsKs right? So he's forced to fold most of the time. Also my AK has decent equity against his mid pairs if he calls. What do you think?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t1440)
SB (t2900)
BB (t1470)
UTG (t2115)
MP1 (t1465)
MP2 (t3090)
CO (t1020)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls t120.

Flop: (t375) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1290</font>
Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: $16 Stars - AK hand early against multi-tabler.

Does he ever limp with AQ, AJ or KQ? because that would also make this play really good. I think it's an ok move if you're sure that he sees you as a tight reg. If he thinks you are a random, he might call with JJ or TT more.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 PM

I bet theres a pretty solid chance he has no idea you are 2p2, especially if your name is different. With that said I don't see much of a reason to do this here, without having you as a solid player he can call here with like TT+ at the very least. You are making him fold out worse hands and low PPs (hopefully) and he is calling when you are beat.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:46 PM

I'd say he probably has TT or JJ and he might fold it if he thinks you're really solid.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say he probably has TT or JJ and he might fold it if he thinks you're really solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he isn't folding these very often. AA/KK is almost always 3bet pf and probably even QQ so you are likely ahead with JJ/TT pretty often here. Unless he really gives you a lot of respect you are getting called by TT+ (and behind for stacks) and getting him to fold overcards for the 500 or so in the pot. I think that situation is weighted in his favor.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:40 AM

Kevin,

Hero didnt flat pf, he made it 5bb, and had no chance to 3bet, he raised over two limpers. MP1 (malnek) limp/called and I would say malneks hand looks alot like 77-TT (maybe JJ?) here ... I think you cant take sets out of his range though, since he is leading into the PFR - so I would be itnerested to see how this play works... I think in the early levels with a 2p2 leading into pfr its probably a fold when he leafs the flop. Hard to say if he folds 77-TT without a read you are v solid
Old 11-17-2007, 04:09 AM

I'm saying Malnek didn't 3bet (and he limped), so you can pretty safely assume he isn't holding AA-QQ. I guess shoving here isn't terrible, but like I've said I have a feeling he doesn't know you are 2p2 since you don't have tons of posts yet and from that he isn't folding JJ-TT and I don't know about 99.

IMO this just isn't necessary, though shoving and seeing a fold could let you play similarly in the future.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 AM

"Does he ever limp with AQ, AJ or KQ?"
Not sure but his line would be a pretty audacious with one of those hands - calling my raise and then donking.

" I bet theres a pretty solid chance he has no idea you are 2p2"
Yea sure but surely the fact that I'm sitting at 9 tables with him and playing tight is a pretty good indicator that im solid. What range can he put me on where calling with TT is a good play? Its not like I'd even raise preflop with 99 or lower.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 AM

Also bear in mind that if he does call with a TT type hand I still have 30% equity.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:56 AM

I don't find this necessary. He's putting you on TT+,AQ+ right ?

Now he calls, donkbets and you shove.

I think he likely raises JJ there and limps behind with other pairs. I think his range strictly is a pocket pair 22-TT, though I dislike his PF call, or actually your raise should have been a little higher like 170-200 imo. So, he's either got a set or he doesn't. If you ask me, he's likely to be check-folding 77-TT depending on what kind of player he is. How regs play sets depends, some lead which might be a very wise play against another reg, because the CRAI isn't that likely to get max right ?

I really think you have to fold against a reg lead-out. Yeah sure he might lay down 77-TT or JJ for that matter, but it just isn't worth the risk. Fold and just play better than him if he's not used to the stakes or playing with many regs. Also, one can think that if he's used to playing 6.5 then certainly 77 etc might be a +ev call there against a donk, so some of the time i think you must expect him to call if he's used to really poor play if you understand what I'm saying. It's just a bad shove IMHO.