Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: how to find some 1 who will spot you?

[/ QUOTE ]
wana know what im capable of? playing heads up for 1 month and dominating it to the point where im sitting with Marco Traniello and being the first 1 to bust him HU after a 5 player wait list. Next time i played HU seriously was on stars. played 3 HU $20 doller tourneys consisting of 200 players with in a week and placing 4th and 3rd back to back. Then entering a HU limit tourney by accident and placing top 5 all with in the same week. sit down with me heads up. play money, real money (if u wana stake me), what ever and ill show u im not a chump.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else really not want to stake him after reading this?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM

I got an email from a guy in Nigeria who'll be able to help. Just send him your Dad's bank details and password - but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 AM

this is hilarious.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got an email from a guy in Nigeria who'll be able to help. Just send him your Dad's bank details and password - but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't know his password but how about if I send him money first then he sends me it back plus a bit more? Will he be ok with that? I can send him $5K now if he will send me back say $7K. PLEASE say yes
Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Nope, not me. I run into lots of 20 somethings (16 to 28 lets say). They are all tough good players in thier own mind. It's only a matter of time before they are busted however. There is a reason the military takes 18 to 24 year olds and teaches them to go running over a hill screaming with a riffle into the teeth of death. It's because they are at the right age to mold and the natural aggression and confidence is overbrimming. That is what I read in the above posts.

I'd say about 50% of my win comes from young male players in this catagory. They see everybody as below them and just know they can win by pushing these poor weak suckers around. It's easy and natural for them to view the competition with contempt. We'll overplaying your hand and overbluffing only lasts so long.

Winning one hand or one session or one tourny does not a champion make. It's the whole package and doing it for a long time. If you can't disapline yourself to hold onto a bankroll how can you play consistantly good poker without going off the deep end? The answer is you can't do yet. That is why you are where you are.

Please don't take offence, I've made exactly this same error and I've been through a phase just like this myself. Occasionally I'll run into one that is truely a great player and they are dangerous but that is rare.

I've got a player now I'm watching. Excellent player, maybe 30-32 who's being staked by an older player. It's interesting the young guy is doing all the winning and I see the old guy get busted night after night. I'm about to conclude the relationship is symbiotic in that the staked player is earning the stake to keep the poorer quality (but lower skilled) player in the game. I've seen this guy perform night after night. I don't understand completely why he needs a backer (no drivers liscense is a big part of it) and I'm waiting for my chance to step in a back him from time to time. That's how you get a backer, by performing well consistantly in front of the right person who has money and wants to invest. It's hard. It was over 3 years before anybody had the confidence to put me in a live tourney. It was only a $100 seat but it meant alot to me (and accomplished one of my poker goals) that this player felt I was good enough play one of his seats. Of the 4 players he put in, I was the onlyone that scored and we split $1000. He would put me in another game if I needed it. Hopefully I won't. But's it's a high compliment none the less and a big responsibility to play at your very best.

Grit your teeth and work hard to improve and don't lose then next bankroll. Prove to yourself you can learn from a mistake and not repeat it.

Dave
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 AM

Hmm busto 5-6 times because you can't play with a level head, that seems like a good investment to me.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what would be the best way to find some 1 to spot you for a tourney or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick, if you don't already know who will spot you, then most likely the answer is no one. The only people that will give you money are going to be a.) people who have seen you play and believe you can make them money or b.) your friends and/or family. No one you don't know is going to give you any money.

Whatever you do...please don't become one of those rail beggars.

PS: Its a yorkshire terrier... and it is 1 dog not 2 dogs... and not a ferret like one guy thought it was LOL.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM

OP, you might have better luck if you post in the Staking forum.