Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: JTo in a multiway pot (4 handed)

So I called the flop.
Turn (8 BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets, BTN calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

The pot's large so I called, but I think this may be close. If UTG wasn't unknown and hadn't pulled off that check/reraise preflop, I'd be wondering what he's betting that I beat.

River (12 BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets, SB calls, Hero?

Passive player waking up is worrying, but pot's too big to do anything but call I guess?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Man, this is a frustrating situation that I've been in many times myself, marginal hand, huge pot, relatively passive play throughout (one bet on each street), and you're getting like 14-1 with top pair. I probably call here and wait to see AJ or something like that. I mean what do you beat? There are no flush draws on the flop, the only straight draw really (45) backs into trips, there might be a couple of underpairs to the jack but I can't imagine top pair with a ten kicker beating 3 other people on that board. It's really tough to fold with that big a pot. I'd definately call if I was last to act (hating myself for it) and call if I didn't think UTG raises behind me in this situation. Maybe when I get better I'll learn to fold here
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I called the flop.
Turn (8 BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets, BTN calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

The pot's large so I called, but I think this may be close. If UTG wasn't unknown and hadn't pulled off that check/reraise preflop, I'd be wondering what he's betting that I beat.

River (12 BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets, SB calls, Hero?

Passive player waking up is worrying, but pot's too big to do anything but call I guess?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 5-max game, I go ahead and call unless I really believed that the passive player is passive. Folding is most likely the correct play. You probably beat SB's medium pocket pair and unknown UTG's AK (which will likely be folded), but a passive player will not be bluffing into three players very often. He may not have a monster (ie, A4 or something like that), but he could easily have KJ or some other better jack.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop (12SB): 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets, BTN calls, SB calls, Hero?

Checking the first time round seems easy enough. Getting 15:1, I think I should at least call. What's the plan for the rest of the hand though?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think checking the flop here is a mistake. I much prefer betting into UTG here and hope he is aggressive enough to raise with most of his hand distribution, including two overcards. (Given his preflop play this seems likely.)

Given the size of the pot and that there is a fair chance that our hand is best I think the chance to fold the SB and/or BTN is worth it.

/Bjorn