Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Dealing with checkraises; Maybe I should post this in ssnl?

I have been getting my feet wet with some 5/10nl and 10/20nl and I am having trouble dealing with the constant checkraises. When you are playing an agressive opponent who likes to checkraise a lot of flops and is capable of putting pressure on future streets. What do you suggest to combat this? This is very broad so let me try to explain it better....

A lot of msnl players in general, will care about pot control and will not be checkraising enough flops to get annoying. People who seem to consistently own me HU or the players who checkraise the flop an abnormal amount and are able to get me to stack off lighter then I would like.

Like in agressive HU match, my opponent sometimes will checkraise a ton of flops, so I begin checking behind more often. Then he fires 1/4-2/3 on the turn or sometimes will pot it. Then it is almost a great way for him to be the agressor. Then I get into habit of checking to many flops and he is basically taken control of the HU match.

When I 4bet bluff the flop it can just get ugly, since I am now representing a very small range of hands, and he will occasionally have what he is representing or just flat out not believe my bluffy line.

Like in terms of 6max, I think the most profitable move is to fold to the majority of checkraises. Sometimes you feel like your opponents are making more moves then they actually are. Plus, it can become very expensive to call down and be wrong.

While in HU, its obviously very dependant. I am playing higher levels then I use to, where people are very selective and smart with thier checkraising. God this post sucks, but maybe someone will save it with something useful.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Dealing with checkraises; Maybe I should post this in ssnl?

[ QUOTE ]

Like in terms of 6max, I think the most profitable move is to fold to the majority of checkraises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree a ton.

I guess you can fold every now and then though.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you feel like your opponents are making more moves then they actually are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realizing this point has improved my game a ton.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 PM

3-bet bluffing the right boards is insanely profitable for me.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 PM

It's obviously very opponent dependent, but you need to figure out who is doing this with air and who is doing this with more legitimate hands. Often they c/r certain board textures or situations. You'll likely find people c/ring more often (and generally getting involved in the pot) against your late position steals. Some board types for air include ace high, completely dry, and paired boards.

Sometimes you can 3bet them and other times you can float them. Often it's fine to fold too obv. Generally it is better (but not necessarily) if you are going to bluff to have some sort of equity - be it a gutshot, or even a backdoor draw that you can still continue with sometimes when they don't simply give up. However, often it is enough to call the c/r and half pot any turn when they check to you.

You don't need to start completely checking a ton on the flop, but be aware of the type of flops you need to look out for and be aware that you could be c/r bluffed. If someone is doing it predictably often then you can consider betting just so you can rebluff, but often with medium strength hands if they are going to do it with a smaller frequency you might be better off checking.

There really is no formula, just be aware of what is going on and react and decide accordingly.