Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Australian Taxes?

hi, i live in australia and poker is my main source of income, I am also working casually for my dad - I dont ask him for work, if someone working for him cannot do the shift, or he wants to take the day off then i will fill in...in August i worked about 40hrs max for my dad and the rest of my time was spent on poker. I got taxed on the work i did for my dad but not for poker, i was wandering if anyone knows whether i would have to pay tax or not for the money i make off poker?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Australian Taxes?

I live in Australia. Gambling income is not taxable unless you are playing "as a business", which has a loose definition. There has only been one successful prosecution in the history of Australian gambling tax law. That was a guy making half a mill per year off horses. He had offices, employed people to do legwork for him, and kept records. That all added up to a business. If you have another job, there's no chance you will be prosecuted, so don't worry about it.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:30 AM

ok, so can i make monthly Payments from party to my bankaccount, using BPAY?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 AM

Yeah, if you like. I just use wire transfers.

I've cashed out $US 30,000 amounts through my bank account before and haven't got any heat at all.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Australia. Gambling income is not taxable unless you are playing "as a business", which has a loose definition. There has only been one successful prosecution in the history of Australian gambling tax law. That was a guy making half a mill per year off horses. He had offices, employed people to do legwork for him, and kept records. That all added up to a business. If you have another job, there's no chance you will be prosecuted, so don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you don't have another job?

I am currently living outside of australia living off poker and am wondering if I can just transfer money from a third party online account (not specifically associtated to poker) to my aussie account and if this can be considered taxable money...
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am currently living outside of australia living off poker and am wondering if I can just transfer money from a third party online account (not specifically associtated to poker) to my aussie account and if this can be considered taxable money...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are gambling winnings taxable in the country you live at? If they're not, see if you can file a tax return there and declare the gambling winnings (but not actually pay tax on them). Then if the ATO ask any questions about the bank transfers you can show the money was not 'laundered' but earned overseas and already subjected to the tax laws there.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are gambling winnings taxable in the country you live at? If they're not, see if you can file a tax return there and declare the gambling winnings (but not actually pay tax on them). Then if the ATO ask any questions about the bank transfers you can show the money was not 'laundered' but earned overseas and already subjected to the tax laws there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm living in thailand - and in thailand gambling is a crime punishable by life imprisonment. So I can't declare it there.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm living in thailand - and in thailand gambling is a crime punishable by life imprisonment. So I can't declare it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Sounds like the games there are quite -EV!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 PM

Nah - they are technically pretty sucky.
They will never be able to catch someone gambling online.