Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: help save 6 young mens lives please!!!

affirmative action is retarded and nobody can argue otherwise. give preference to kids who did not have the same opportunities for financial reasons not racial reasons, this just continues to perpetuate the stereotype that we are not all inherently equal.

THAT BEING SAID, its irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:46 PM

As for the school fighting issue, others have touched on it a bit. Lower class and lower middle class kids are typically going to be tougher and more prone to lashing out since they have it hard. Who are they gonna lash out on? Kids that are well off. In the city more often then not the lower class/lower middle class vs upper middle class/upper class line is drawn on the race line with minorities being the impoverished. But the thing to take note of is that its the have-nots attacking the haves.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
affirmative action is retarded and nobody can argue otherwise. give preference to kids who did not have the same opportunities for financial reasons not racial reasons, this just continues to perpetuate the stereotype that we are not all inherently equal.

THAT BEING SAID, its irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah Im not really sure if Im a proponent of it, however it does have its merits, along with its drawbacks. That being said, we are all created equal and its a narrow minded way to look at affirmative action to think it is saying otherwise. Created equal, and being given equal opportunities are two different things though. Not sure how to better illustrate it than my monopoly example.

Affirmative action is just a quick fix though. The problem is clearly the lack of equal opportunities. Mostly this stems from inner city schools with a high minority student body being horribly underfunded and understaffed. This is the base of the problem and this is what needs to be fixed.

When trying to fix this problem though its hard if there are no minority leaders. Its hard to have minority leaders when they are not getting into college due to their less than equal opportunities earlier in their life. Pretty much we want chickens but we have no eggs nor do we have chickens to lay eggs.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:56 PM

i went to a very highly rated private high school which had pretty much every resource any kid could dream of. black kids from my school still got preference wrt affirmative action even though they had life just as easy as everybody else. it really makes no sense.

kind of OT now.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i went to a very highly rated private high school which had pretty much every resource any kid could dream of. black kids from my school still got preference wrt affirmative action even though they had life just as easy as everybody else. it really makes no sense.

kind of OT now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you mean, but how do you propose they try and quell the wide spread disenfranchising of minorities? Case by case? And if you follow my logic at all that its a quick fix to facilitate an actual solution to the problem, then it truly doesnt matter if the person went to the finest private school or grew up in the gutter. The idea is that our college campuses and sought after professions will start to have a racial balance on par with that of our population. When a black kid grows up with good role models who look like them, they are going to be much more likely to follow on that same path.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Yea, they really need to apply income to AA
Old 09-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Agree with jfish, its a socioeconomic issue, not a racial one. People get confused because the two, sadly, still show a correlation, though.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with jfish, its a socioeconomic issue, not a racial one. People get confused because the two, sadly, still show a correlation, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 PM

There was so much stupidity in this thread and some quite well written thoughts.

Me:
-White Male
- 5'10 regular build
- I live in Sydney
- upper-middle class backround but parents divorced and lost a whole lotta money being petty.
- Went to public school for the earlier years and then wen to one of the best schools in the country. (tuition costs AUD $27,000 pa)
- My grades were extremely good with little or no work. I have an IQ with is in the top 1% of the worlds population. (At least this thread has a brag now)
- Of the 10 scholarships that they awarded I was not one of them.
- A few of them were given to Aboriginals with poor grades who lived in the surrounding area. Every one of these did not complete school and had no idea of the priveledge that they were getting.

This annoys me so much as my father could afford the school, I wasn't given as much consideration as others even when I was more worthy. My father sacrificed a lot to send me to school and led a pretty uncomfortable life during it.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:28 PM

yah honestly I think reparations is better. AA is like a passive aggressive form of reparations. In germany they pay reparations to jews still, people might gripe about it, but their parents and grandparents did something that still affects the lives of others in a negative way to this day, and in many cases affects their own lives in a positive way.