Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Default KTs Bet sizing

Played the nightly double $10 FTP tournaments last night after reading bond18's bet sizing post and realizing how poorly I had been betting. Fresh ideas and lessons in hand I dove in. Finish ITM in one and 3 hands from ITM in the other. Wondering if I bet this hand out decently. No great read on the villian. Seemed a bit tight passive.

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 30/60 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP2: 4,240
CO: 4,225
BTN: 3,925
Hero (SB): 3,360
BB: 5,185
UTG: 995
UTG+1: 4,420
UTG+2: 2,305
MP1: 6,400

Pre-Flop: (90) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
7 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 120</font>, BB calls 60

Flop: (240) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 120</font>, BB calls 120

Turn: (480) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 240</font>, BB calls 240

River: (960) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 500</font>, BB calls 500

1,960 Pot
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: KTs Bet sizing

Wow what a perfect turn... would I pf bet? no... but as played it looks good... I bet a little more on river... overbet the pot make it look like you're bluffing. I think he's calling whatever you throw at him since the river isn't very scary.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM

I agree, hand played well, villain must be on some kind of gutterball draw or backdoor flush draw as played in early streets. However, clearly river play shows he does not have a flush. What kind of hands could he be smooth calling flop and turn? Top pair weak kicker is out of question, I think it's something like J9 or something. If he's not floating flop and turn to make play on river, what did you put him on? Also, just for discussion sake, if we check river, does he instacheck behind with middle pair? or is it possible he is flat calling turn to fire on river if we check? Just trying to run scenarios.

But hand played well, bet more on river please. pot and a half or 2x pot.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 AM

actually looking back, I do not like PF raise. If you're going to raise at all OOP with a modest holding like that, y only min raise? When BB calls you have not made any move to narrow his range whatsoever. Most likely will call with ATC taking a flier, knowing that most garbage flops will not hit u. Fortunately, the board came coordinated and scary for a hand like 7-8 or 33-88.

Make larger raise or just complete SB.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Why not bet more on each street? It doesn't seem like you maximized your profits in this hand. If you raise pre-flop to 180 and make 2/3 pot-sized bets on flop and turn, the pot will contain 1000 more on the river. Now, you can size your river bet to whatever you feel is most likely to take him to valuetown.

I would normally attempt a turn check-raise here and try to get the most of him, but since you labelled him tight-passive I think leading out every street is best. IMO they rarely make crazy moves but they don't mind calling slightly higher bets on each street.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet more on each street? It doesn't seem like you maximized your profits in this hand. If you raise pre-flop to 180 and make 2/3 pot-sized bets on flop and turn, the pot will contain 1000 more on the river. Now, you can size your river bet to whatever you feel is most likely to take him to valuetown.

I would normally attempt a turn check-raise here and try to get the most of him, but since you labelled him tight-passive I think leading out every street is best. IMO they rarely make crazy moves but they don't mind calling slightly higher bets on each street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Rocco nailed it.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 PM

yes... bet more on all streets. Never minraise pf from the SB. You're giving the BB irresistible odds to call (3:1) and you'll be OOP post-flop.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Agree, def bet more on every street, and 3x pf.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM

couldnt agree more with rocco
Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Make it 180 pf (360)

Then you can bet 240 on flop. (480+360= 840 total)

Then ~600 on turn (~2kish total turn)

Then you can shove river with it not making it look like an overbet, and you get max value.