Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Need Some Actual Advice Here

Just normal variance. You are seriously under bankrolled. Stop crying. Concentrate on getting laid for the first time.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just tried PMing him with advice and he said that he lost most of his roll but obviously has rakeback if he loses the rest of his roll again

It's not worth it man, I feel sorry for you, but you are going to have problems with this game

[/ QUOTE ]

Many poker pros were told the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

But those same pros took advice rather than lashing out after they asked for the advice.

Oh yeah, and they don't cry when they lose $1 SNGs.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:40 PM

i would stay away from poker... players who do well at poker are not the one's crying but the ones who are able to control their emotions and keep their game at 100%..
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would stay away from poker... players who do well at poker are not the one's crying but the ones who are able to control their emotions and keep their game at 100%..

[/ QUOTE ]

What is all this focus on the crying? Matesow did it quite publicly, it's just a stress reaction complicated by hormones right now. "Control their emotions?" The guy with the most WSOP bracelets is infamous for lack of emotional control. For the luvva mike, none of us had much control at this age - he'll be fine -

And NO ONE is "keeping thier game at 100%." No......one. One of the things Greenstein said that really helped me stop being so hard on myself, was that he makes about 20 mistakes in his game per session. What we hope we learn is to recognize when we are playing at less-than-optimum and back away or regroup. That takes time and experience which the OP can't get unless he plays, studies and evolves.

The getting laid advice was good, too. Uh- recommend not crying during that, tho.' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Crying over $1 SNG != Crying at WSOP
Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 PM

is this a gimmick account?

if not, why create a post asking for help and then disagree with everything people tell you trying to help.

Going $10->$700->$0 isn't an accomplishment, you're still -$10 in the game of life.

If you're a winning player, then I don't know how you keep going on huge downswings playing $1 and $5 sit and goes?

Re-evaluate and focus on playing a game that you can beat. Confidence is important, but false-confidence driven by an ego is bad.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. I have $52, do I withdraw that and just take a break till I get $60 for rakeback in 2 weeks?

2. Do I quit forever because I can not handle it?

3. Play 10NL with $5 BIs like I had done previously?

4. Withdraw the money and rakeback money and get new video game system instead of Poker?

5. One last thing. I have nothing to do besides tennis, house work and a job 1 or 2 days a week (which is boring as hell.)

6. I do not like hanging out with the kids I do AT school OUTSIDE of school because I do not like drugs/alcohol because again I would feel like I let my parents down.

7. Keep my boredom in mind, because that is what helped lead me to my current state.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Withdraw your money. Close your accounts. Don't play any games for money on line until and unless you don't have to say things like, "I asked my parents if..." Moreover, even if you were an emancipated minor bent on internet gambling, inadequate bankroll management is a master plan for bankrupcy. When and if you play, keep at least 10 (and preferably 20) times the buyin for the level you're playing for ring games.

2. No. But you need to quit while you live at home, go to school, and don't have enough of a bankroll on your own to fund the level you want to play. Wait at least until college.

3. No. You're too immature from the information in the OP to be playing online for money. Grow up a little. Get a job and an apartment. Or, better than that, go to college.

4. Sounds good. Or buy chips and a card table so you can set up some ring games and tourneys for your friends that prefer cards to drugs and alcohol. Play a ton of low stakes games with friends. Make it HORSE and have fun. But stay off the computer poker sites. At least live, you'll have some interaction with others. You sound like you can use it. But keep the stakes low.

5-7. Find some friends who don't do drugs and alcohol. Maybe a girlfiend. Get out of your own head.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4. Sounds good. Or buy chips and a card table so you can set up some ring games and tourneys for your friends that prefer cards to drugs and alcohol. Play a ton of low stakes games with friends. Make it HORSE and have fun. But stay off the computer poker sites. At least live, you'll have some interaction with others. You sound like you can use it. But keep the stakes low.

5-7. Find some friends who don't do drugs and alcohol. Maybe a girlfiend. Get out of your own head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last post actually was pretty good. Last two things I would like to comment on. You see, it is senior year of HS this year. Not making new friends now, plus I crushed everyone for two years and no one wants me to play. No one else plays either, excluding of course some drunken $1 game. Plus, when we played it was never at my house, cause I live away from everyone. Interaction makes me sound so damn desperate. I hang out with kids, just never ask others. I would rather be by myself to be honest, I feel more comfortable. I am not wanting to get a girl friend now as that would require liking to drink/smoke etc. basically at this point. Almost every kid in my class does drugs or drinks, girls and boys. Also, there are maybe 6 hot girls in my class (only 100 girls in my class) and I know for a damn fact that the hottest one would go at the least to a dance with me only because she asked. I told her I had something planned already. It was a 100 man live tourney, I was the only underage kid there. I would play poker, esp live, any day over dances that I am uncomfortable at and am bored as hell at. I got 2nd in that tourney for $300...Part of which I used to pay off a bet on what year Brock Huard was drafted. I DO appreciate the advice. I am starting to think that I de-value money too much at these low stakes. I played 200NL a few times with $40 stacks and did well for about 8 hours total. I eventually busted, part with a bad play and most of it losing to some jackass who called my all-in with a gutshot.

A few things I want to clarify. I USED to cry/even play $1 SnGs, that was months ago. The lowest ones I ever play are $5, and those are rare, mainly just cash games now. If I was rolled for 1/2 or even .50/1 I know I would do well. I value money more in $100 pots than in .96 cent ones. My emotions are controlled better at this time. I still have my moments, but I think we all do. One day months ago after bulding a BR from a freeroll to $50 and losing it I threw and shattered a scanner, smashed a mouse, and cursed to my parents (which I had like never done and really never do.) It always made me feel so much better (calm, relaxed-over it) if I threw things or broke things. Most I do now is a brief yell. No crying really, and def. no throwing. Thanks for all the advice and I look forward to reading more insightful replies.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:01 PM

This picture accurately portrays

a) This thread
b) My attempt at putting sane thoughts into this boy's head
c) His future endeavors with poker

Good luck, sorry I cared man
Old 08-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Quit playing on [censored] ultimate beat, that would be a start.