Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone see a Golf psychologist?

Had an article in the WSJ about these people. It is called Vision54 because that is what 18 birdies on a par 72 would equate to. They have an online program for $99. Might look into it since the 3-day program is quite expensive and I just don't have the time to devote.

The VISION54 Approach

The origin of VISION54 emanates from a core belief in possibilities, and by embracing the notion that every individual has unlimited and unique potential.

With this principle as it underpinning, VISION54 offers integrated coaching programs that increase performance and individual development for golfers, for athletes, for coaches, for business - for life. VISION54 knows that golf is about more than just the grip, the stance and the swing. In fact, under the VISION54 principles, the golf swing is just one element of an integrated coaching approach that targets the complete golfer - the whole person.

http://www.vision54.com/vision54/pages/home/
Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 AM

Imagine what you would shoot if you grew up playing golf and par was 54, you get the regulation shots plus a putt. I guarantee it would be lower than you shoot now.

When I first started golf at the age of twelve my father told me to aim to make a bogey, on in three and two putt a par four. I very quickly did better than that. Now as a pro, especially on tough courses I try to make 18 easy pars, knowing I will get my share of birdies.

The only change I make to that philosophy is when I get near the green I try to hole everything inside 50 yards. No matter how difficult a putt I face I'm trying to hole it, but when I stand on any tee box I'm thinking all I need is an easy par.

You can adjust that to whatever your par is on a hole given your handicap. If your a 5, then the 5 hardest holes look to make an easy bogey.

I know that sounds simplistic, but when I am in this frame of mind I play great golf.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can adjust that to whatever your par is on a hole given your handicap. If your a 5, then the 5 hardest holes look to make an easy bogey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite get what you mean by easy bogey. Are you saying to play a difficult par 4 as a par 5?

There is a brutal par 4 at my club. 90 degree dog leg left with ob down both sides. There is no bail out zone. You need to hit a drive about 260 yards to have a decent shot to the green.

I could hit a 5 wood (and many times do!) and just play it for three shots.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is a brutal par 4 at my club. 90 degree dog leg left with ob down both sides. There is no bail out zone. You need to hit a drive about 260 yards to have a decent shot to the green.

[/ QUOTE ]

for what it is worth, i played terrible in the first round flighting day of a tournament one time and played with some kid who was just beyond terrible the next day in match play.

he was so bad i just hit 2 7 irons on every hole and went from there....i shot +2 74 which was the best round of my life at the time...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My psychologist comes in a bottle and tends to work pretty well for the most part. Affordable rates IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and always there for you, they don`t come better than that.

"You can adjust that to whatever your par is on a hole given your handicap. If your a 5, then the 5 hardest holes look to make an easy bogey."

I agree to some degree.
I have often told my like father at hdc 24 to not force holes, with so many extra strokes available.
When people like him stand in front of a par4 440 yards with troubles in several places, they then try to force there drive to new standards.
This is as always not gonna happen and the result is a rare green in regulation, but more often than not, a score of 7+ on the hole.
When these holes come up, if he just took his 3 iron from tee, then his 5 iron after that and then a short pitch, he could put for par almost everytime, lowering his average score on the hole with 1-2 easy.

When it comes to people like myself hdc 4,6 who does not play as often as i would like, my putting numbers are way too high, and i can come up with a bad shot at any given time.
And i can`t rely on my short game to get me up and down for par.

I can`t just point out the 5 hardest holes i have and chip it to green to put for par, cause that would be givin away a couple of shots.
When i look at my rounds i have good average scores on many of the hard rated holes, and i aim to hit the green in regulation on every hole.
Well almost, cause sometimes there are holes, where i will change my gameplan to either be able to chip it in to put for par, or just tee out with a 4 iron and maybe hit a 3 iron after green.

When it comes to the mental stress factor of difficult holes, and a competitive round, there can be more reasons to change a gameplan and sacrifice maybe 0,4 shot at a hole, to keep out potential disaster.

One of the reasons Tiger is always in contention (besides being the best) is that he rarely stand in front of these stressfull situations.
He has in advance looked at the holes, and decided that after 4 rounds, this hole will give him the best score if i play it like X.
So when he gets to the tee, he does not have to think about the potential disasters, cause he has already calculated them, and knows when he gets up on the tee with his driver/2iron/whateer, that this is the best solution, and if i hit a bad one, that is what happen, i made the right choise, and thereby he also have the benefit of rarely needing to question him self on the course.

Sometimes i find errors in some of the Pros course management (hard to say when they are better than me) but i find it alsomt funny in like this eksample:

We assume the players hit there 2 iron way more stabil than there Driver.

-Fairly long hole
-Fairway is narrowing in in driver distance.
-Pin is located all the way in the back of green.

Almost all the players choose to hit the driver, and then the wedge in the second shot.
Result: Many miss the fairway, with a lack of control over there approach shot.
Also almost noone of the perfect drives hi there approach close to the pin, as they have to hit short of the pin and then spin further away, some of those very aggressive hit it over the green with an impossible chipshot left.

Those going with 2-iron and approach with 7-iron results:
A lot more fairways hit and approach shot with control, resulting in noone over the green, a few left right though (as some from the rough with wedge too) and those hitting the green can get it close, as they can land it short and maybe one bounche and then stop, making more of these guys actually hiiting it really close.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite get what you mean by easy bogey. Are you saying to play a difficult par 4 as a par 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically it's another way of saying play within yourself. Only for me it is more practical than using a catchphrase.

An example of where this helps me immensely is when I feel between clubs. If I feel I need to make birdies this is a very tough spot, but with this easy par mentality I never feel between clubs. If the pin's on the back I take the shorter club (content to putt from the middle of the green, not try to force it back there), on the front I take the bigger club.

I can elaborate further on this if you want, but I suggest playing a round of golf where your goal is to make pars only (or par for your handicap on every hole). Or set up a money match where par is the best score, bogey and birdie are next then double or worse.