Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Weak tight in blind battle

So, villian is a solid tag. He has been tricky against me in blind battles in the past. I have not seen him screwplay the turn, but I assume this play is in his arsenal. I was planning on calling most rivers, but I changed my mind on this particular river.

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3 BB
Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Weak tight in blind battle

It really depends on what he's thinking here. The flop is pretty dry. So he either checked because he thinks you rarely call without a hand. This seems unlikely. The other option is that he thinks you frequently have things that will fold to a bet or will both call-down if he bets and bet-calldown if he c/r's. This seems much more likely to me. Therefore, I like your play.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:29 AM

i call. There are no madehands u call the flop with and check behind the turn so villain can put you exclusively on A or K high. If you wts is not too high he'll know that you wont call the river when the second broadway card gets there so it's profitable for him to bet with any 2.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM

i don't really understand the turn check. can't sb just be giving up with his T7 or whatever? Isn't there some chance he c/c K-hi?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:56 PM

I'd bet the turn but I think it's kind of close, we have SD value and this is a board where a smart villain is going to screwplay often with tpgk+

my reasons for betting the turn are that he's also going to be giving up with a lot of 6 out hands after you peel on that ragged flop (and there is no benefit in letting them see a free river), and I think it is good for metagame to apply pressure with draws in situations where villain can have a very wide range
Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Yeah, I think the turn is the interesting decision. I may as well flip a coin on the river.

I used to bet this turn most of the time. In my experience, I won't get screwplayed here often, but this is definitely the type of player I expect it from. If I didn't pick up the flush draw, I would certainly b/f the turn, ck behind river.

Also, his "6 out" hands are actually 4-5 out hands, so I don't minds a free card that much. He could be c/c'ing a gutshot hand with 7-8 outs, which is not good for me.

All in all, I posted this hand because I like how I played it, and I used to play this situation differently... just wondering if I made a good change or not.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:13 PM

yea 4-5 outs is right, my bad. still no reason to give them a free card though. besides giving a free chance to improve, you make your hand pretty obvious and let villain pick good river bluff spots (like this one)

I don't see how him c/c a gutshot is bad, it is +ev for you
Old 10-07-2007, 10:24 PM

I meant, bad for me if I dont bet the turn. sorry not very clear
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 AM

Always bet this turn. Call river most of time.