Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 AM

Default How much to maniac? Unusual rebuy structure

Hi,

tomorrow I"m playing the south island champs event in Christchurch, New Zealand. Its got a pretty strange rebuy structure, $500+50 buy in, with $100 rebuys and a $100 addon. With rebuys being such good value, I should be going pretty crazy early, right?

To conteract this, I'm operating off a ~12k roll. When I initially bought in, I was under the impression it was a $550 freezeout, the website wasn't too informative unfortunately and I can't withdraw. I guess I'm just looking for a little advice as to how to balance such great value in the rebuys with being quite underrolled for the tournament.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: How much to maniac? Unusual rebuy structure

Eep.

Is there a limit on the number of rebuys? Is there a minimum chip count before you can rebuy?

If the answer is yes to both, then I rebuy immediately (even if I only take out a small stack, I now have three starting stacks instead of one whereas if I doubled up from one I might not get to use a rebuy at all). I'll happily repeat this up to the maximum number of rebuys, hoping to build a big stack before the break and having the addon on top of that.

In your situation, if you really need to limit the number of rebuys, it might be wise to try and take advantage of craziness during the rebuy period rather than try to create too much of it yourself - but this leaves you horribly dependent on a good run of cards. Decide the maximum number of rebuys you possibly can afford and TAG up a little when you use the last one you're going to be taking (apart from the addon).

If it's unlimited rebuys with no minimum chip count, you'll just have to decide how many you can afford. Take them all at the start (or as and when needed to cover the biggest stacks at your table) so that you can maximise gains from other stacks when you get a chance to double up.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 AM

shove every hand is +EV. Considering you're not gonna be on avg < 20 % dog. Meaning this can't be the actual structure
Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shove every hand is +EV. Considering you're not gonna be on avg < 20 % dog. Meaning this can't be the actual structure

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to rethink whatever caveman math makes you think that's +EV.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM

How long is the rebuy period. With your roll, you may want to play a bit tighter than perhaps may be optimal (and I have no idea what that is), but it will be important to adjust to your table. If it is a loose table you can loosen up significantly and gamble more since you will likely be a lot closer to flipping, while at a tight table you're just gonna get raped by people waiting for hands.

Adjust to the players, you should know what kind of ranges they have. I imagine that making some -cEV plays is probably correct, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 AM

It proved to be far less maniacal than I expected, and after I doubled very early, I didn't play too far from my usual game. Ended up in for 1 rebuy and 1 add on, with a slightly above average stack, but no cash later. Thanks to skier in particular for the help.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 AM

can you take advantage of the maniacs easier if you play TAG and wont have to sepnd the extra money to rebuy.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM

anybody have any more advice on rebuys?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 PM

All i know is when daniel neg rebought for an insane amount of money, lost 10x times, but later after rebuy period was over, he took everyone's stacks back after he padded them.

I've played a couple of rebuys I don't know how to play them properly.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 PM

i can imagine all the money you can dump into the prize pool and not come out with a penny of it.