Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Default OT: Pooh-bah

I just noticed I'm Pooh-bah now so I figured I might as well make a post about my poker adventure. A bunch of my friends really got into poker during the Moneymaker era, and I tried to steer clear because I knew I'd get pretty crazy with it. Eventually I gave in and I started off losing a few $50 deposits right away, then after a few months of constant freerolls I won a few bucks and started playing $10NL. I remember having like a $30 roll and being completely determined that I'd eventually be able to play poker as a job, so ridiculous. Eventually I built up about $160 and in November 05 started playing $5 sng's on Stars, still just positive I'd eventually be able to play online poker for a living, but it was mostly because I didn't want to have to get a normal job. I eventually found out about STTF and SNGPT from igotmadbeetz and slowly improved and started playing turbos. In March 06 I won a $3 donkament on Stars for like $850 or something and finally had a roll for the $16s. The next month I made like $2,000 or something and I had basically "made it" in my mind. From then til now has just been full of thousands of low level sng's mixed in with a mediocre effort in NL cash. I don't really have any big aspirations in poker anymore, grinding out $30/hr is fine for me I guess. My main goal is to become a professional golfer within the next couple of years, so that's probably why I have no big poker aspirations.

I'm obviously not going to be giving any new advice but I will share a few things I think are important.

-SNGPT/SNGWIZ, a lot of people are really lazy when it comes to studying hands, which is crazy if you're playing a lot of sng's. I found with myself I'd develop leaks if I didn't go over hands at least every few days.

-No distractions. After looking at my sharkscope graph I noticed most/all of my breakeven and losing streaks were because I was playing while watching TV, browsing the internet, chatting on AIM/MSN, etc. It's just a waste of money unless you're 4 tabling or something.

-Don't watch your showdowns, and when you bust, don't go check the HH to look at the stupid beat you just took. This helps keep me calm and stay process oriented. Anytime I find myself getting really angry while I play it's because I'm trying to watch every showdown I have.

-Thin/bad shoves. Goes back to sngpt, but this is basically why I've ever had any significant downswing. Guys play terrible and they will give you plenty of chances to take advantage of them so you don't need to force anything. I remember ALReturnsLOL telling me a raptor quote, that anytime he went on a 25+BI downswing it was because he was pushing too much.

That's about it, thanks to BHokie, Blackize, AMT, dave1mo1, bengiec, slimon, ALReturnsLOL, Jshuttlesworth, futuredoc and igotmadbeetz, you guys have helped a lot with my game and given me some good laughs. Thanks to everyone in STTF, there are tons of great players here full of piles of poker knowledge. May all your cards be live and your pots be monsters!

picnic baskets,

sippin_criss [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: OT: Pooh-bah

<3
Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 PM

DA Mad Wizard of Poker!

Much [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Bro

Don't 'push' too much in golf [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GL always! Hit me up on AIM anytime.

Oh yeah and that pic of your hairy ass in the [censored] thread made me throw up a little.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM

Good post Sippin.

Good luck with becoming a pro golfer. You must be pretty good, whats your Hanicap?

Also how many Sngs do u play daily I always see your name on top of the Ftp leader board?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post Sippin.

Good luck with becoming a pro golfer. You must be pretty good, whats your Hanicap?

Also how many Sngs do u play daily I always see your name on top of the Ftp leader board?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 0 currently, obviously not close to good enough to be pro right now, but in about a week or so I'm going to use every second of daylight pwning the golf course so things should improve quickly.

I've played like 3500+ sng's this month, but I don't think anyone should be put through that kind of torture.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: OT: Pooh-bah *DELETED*

Post deleted by billxo1b
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 PM

congrats bitch!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember having like a $30 roll and being completely determined that I'd eventually be able to play poker as a job, so ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am 0 currently, obviously not close to good enough to be pro right now, but in about a week or so I'm going to use every second of daylight pwning the golf course so things should improve quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Congrats on the Pooh-bah status and nice post. Gl with your golfing aspirations. I think golf is the only thing that ever frustrated me more than sngs.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 PM

Wow, come play golf with me & MikeMcQ1 & show us how it's done. You have a cross post of your golf story anywhere? I'm very interested.